Friday, March 14, 2008

We Are Always Somebody's Eskimo !!

 

It was the Summer of 1972 and I found myself at La Macaza , Québec ..... north of Montréal..... with about 70 native language teachers representing the seven major linguistic groups from all over the province. It's one thing to speak your language well .... but it's quite another game to teach it.... and teach it well !! And that is why we linguists were there ..... to help the young teachers reflect upon the workings of their specific tongues ...... avoir une pensée réfléchie sur le fonctionnement de leurs propres langues.....so as to be better able to explain them to their students back in their respective village schools..

One afternoon I was doing a workshop session with the Attikamekw group when a dozen or so Inuit women waltzed into my classroom...... talkative Edna Padlayat at their head. Now they could neither speak directly to he Attikamekw through their mother tongue.... for evident reasons..... nor through their second language since the Attikamekw used French and the Inuit used English..... so Edna asked me to interpret for them. She said that her people wanted the other groups to refer to them as Inuit and not as Eskimo , a term they considered to be highly offensive. ..... and even warned that if the "Indians " did not comply to their wishes that they ... the Inuit... would call them.... the "Indians " by the Inuktitut ( Inuit language ) pejorative word for them !! My first reaction was to say , " Let's all calm down , get out the tobacco and we smokum peäcepipe ! Just kidding ! No , I told Edna and her gang that I would give their message to the other native peoples and get back to them later  that same afternoon. So off the Inuit went.

In the meantime the Attikamekw people were just sitting there bewildered by it all .... not understaning what was being said. So I explained to them the gist of the Inuit request....... including the ultimatum. Their immediate reaction was anger .... and they wanted to know the "evil word " the Inuit used for "Indians "...... so I told them. " Iqqiliit "  which means "lice larvae bearers"..... and this really made the pot boil over !

To defuse the whole situation I reminded the Attikamkw that they themselves had lived with a similar problem for hundeds of years ..... a problem they had only recently resolved  both legally as well as from a sociological and media standpoint. Until 1970 they had been known in historical and anthropological literature and throughout Quebec by the less than flattering name Têtes - de - Boule or   Ballheads / Roundheads.so they notified the the federal and provincial governments , the media  , universities , etc that they were officially taking back their original name "Attikamekw Iriniak "... The Whitefish People . ... and vigourously rejecting the former scurrilous nickname. And now  , two years later , their request had been heeded to the grand satisfaction of all concerned.

Now before this post turns into a shaggy dog story in length I shall come to the point. Somewhere ....sometime .....someone began referring to the native people inhabiting the Arctic regions with the nomenclature "Eskimo ".... and it stuck! This term was believed  to mean "raw meat eater " .... and it likewise unfortunately stuck ! The truth of the matter is that the word "Eskimo " is  a White Man's pisspoor rendition of a perfectly positive  Cree word " ayaskimaw / ayastchimew ".... he / she speaks a foreign language . What is so frightening about this misnomer / monumental boner is that it has spread worldwde. While teaching at the Université de Bordeaux , France in 1991 I asked my students ... just for fun..... what the word Eskimo meant and 200 voices boomed back at me in unison , " mangeur de viande crue "..... "raw meat eater ". Just another case of the whiteman's misunderstanding and misuse of words borrowed from native North American languages .......... Many of us know how much wood a woodchuck could chuck but are unable to identify the animal when asked to do so. The word is on loan from any one Algonquian language " udjakw , oodjik or utchakw " and refers to a muskrat and not to the groundhog or marmot as informed North Americans think it does !   On this I rest my case !!  

P.S. I met with Edna and thee Inuit people later and explained in great detail what I have just summed up in these few lines That evening we held a social get-together for everybody and from that day onwards harmony ruled the campus...... so to speak.

P.S.2 My blogpost title is a rough translation of the title of the article  " On est toujours l'Esquimau de quelqu'un " , written by José Mailhot , Jean - Paul Simard and Sylvie Vincent in the review Études/ Inuit Studies , 1980 , No.4 .... an excellent artcle which shed light on and settled the question once and for all.

12 comments:

  1. Thanks for a little bit of history! I think I would have enjoyed your classes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks , Raenie , but my classroom days are behind me... in here I'm "socialblogging "! I hope you are feeling well , Raenie... haven't seen you very much recently... thanks so much for dropping by ! Come back soon...

    ReplyDelete
  3. A fun story. With a good ending. We all should be called what we want. I had gone by just my first name for many years when I wanted to be called by my middle name also. Some people ignored my request & never even tried. Some called me what I wanted with no problem. The girl who was at that time my best friend was heard saying that she just could not change now, it was too late, with nary a thought to my feelings. That should have told me something now she rarely speaks to me or sees me. If she wanted to change her name, I would change what I call her because she & her feelings are important to me. All peoples should be called what they desire.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reminds me of Russian, although I stopped learning a couple of years ago after 13 years. The Russian word for the German language is Немецкий язык (nyemetzki yazyk - my photetic words) and anything to do with German (a person or adjective) hangs together with the word немец (nyemetz) and this word means the dumb. The Russians just found that someone not talking their language was a bit dumb. The country Germany is treated with respect - Германия (Germania) - so the Germans were in this case the eskimos. Bit difficult to explain because of the cyrillic letters.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've read that when the Spanish invaded the "new world" which was what is now called South America they traveled North exploring and claiming land for the Spanish Crown. So they eventually get to this river and there are some natives living there who they ask the name of the land beyond. The natives, thinking what was said to them was a greeting replied with their own greeting, "Tejas". And that's how Texas got their name. Or so I read. (c;

    It's been my experience that all groups of people think other groups of people are undesirable and stupid. Well, at least we're all in the same boat on that one. **LOL**

    Excellent blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Louse and raw meat...YUK..both seem to be worthy of forgetting what about the Flathead tribe in Montana? I cant believe they like that name. Hope you are getting some meltdown.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have a point there , Julie - Ann... or do you prfer Jliana ? Now I am not sure !! ?? Real bummer about your friend's atttude. I've had a plethora of names and nicknames during my life and now in my twilight years I'm down to wto... Gerry and Buck.... so please take your pick !

    ReplyDelete
  8. No sweat about the Cyrillic aphabet , Pat... our seminary was biritual with Mass every morning in Latin and Old Salvonic... Ukrainian language studies available which I took advantage of. Right about nyemetz , etc The Hungarian word for Germany is Németország and a German is Német and word néma = dumb. Now since Russian and Hungarian are two unrelated languages I smell a rat ! Someone borrowed from someone else ? I haven't touched my Ukrainian in years ... except for all tha folksongs I learned back then.... love to sing them out loud when alone !! Have a great weekend !

    ReplyDelete
  9. I prefer Julie-Ann. I put Juliana on my art work. No real reason why. And in Sweden I tend to go by Juliana. My Swedish artist friend just cannot say Julie-Ann but he can say Juliana easily.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Zenophobia thrives on the ideas that others are dangerous , different from us , dumb , etc as you say , Jim.... I know your Tejas example very well and it well illustrates what I was getting at in my post. The story behind our own name here Quebec is the exact same. Champlain is sailing up the Saint Lawrence River when he sees a big gathering of natives on the shore at what is now Cap - Rouge... near Quebec. Foolihing thinking they might understand him , he shouted out to them .... who by then were waist deep in the water waving and gesticulating.... asking the "Indiens " the name of the place where they were. Waving and beckoning , the Indians called back " kabak , kabak !" and the French wrote down the word "Kabak"falsely thinking they had the placename. Kaba means disembark said to one person whereas kabak means disembark when said to two or more people....... or scond person plural imperative !! So mankind can chalk up another blooper of misunderstanding to its big log book. Quebec already had .... and still has to this day ... another name which was well in place long before the French grace these shores with their presence.... Wepistukwiast

    ReplyDelete
  11. As the White Man went westwards he would ask one group the name of the next group of natives they would encounter .... and more than often got the pejorative nickname , which in its turn , made the history books. Only in recent years have the native peoples put pressure on the governments to use their own names to dewsignate their " tribes ". You mention the Flatheads , Dixxe..... how about Sans Poil ( Without BOdyhair ), Gros - Ventres ( Big Bellies )of the Plains , Dogribs and Rabbitskins of the Subarctic and the Loucheux ( Cross-eyed ) of the Yukon..... or the Blackfoot , Nez Persé , etc ?? Good to see you again , dear Dixxe... hope that your design business is booming. Hugs !

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very interesting. I enjoyed the post. I have a good friend whose sister-n-law recently moved here from Alaska. She is Indian - don't know the name but she makes it clearly and loudly known that she is NOT Eskimo. I don't bring it up either way because I do not understand any of it. (well maybe I Do understand a little bit more now ) :o)
    The word Mexican is very common to me. I think nothing of it but newcomers and even some old timers manage to say the word in a way that makes it sound bad and I have never understood that either.
    Come on down and enjoy this weather!

    ReplyDelete