Friday, March 7, 2008

" Can She Cook ? "

 

This afternoon I was sitting in my car in front of our IGA supermarket just minding my own business ..... simply whiling away the time ...... while Fluff ran a few errands inside. A wee old lady exited the store and headed in my direction. I noted she was carrying two bags.... one with three big cartons of milk ( easily identifiable through the thin plastic sack ) , the other with a stock of celery stickng out of the top. I remember the milk because I said to myself , " Good girl ! Milk's good for a "seanbhean " like yourself !" Now all this time I was listening to the radio and recall seeing just her silhouette pass by the pasenger side of my car. Then followed two loud thuds on the trunk of the car. I started to spin around ..... when all of a sudden the passenger door flew open and an arm .... and a hand , of course .... ... shot inside . It was the old lady and she was reaching the for lock  button on the back door !! She looked at me and immediately went red and flustered .... explaining that her husband had an indigo - coloured Toyota Corolla like mine. Truly an honest mistake !   

The poor woman , in a moment of distraction , had walked right by her husband sitting in his car almost directly across from me and was now trying to go home with me. LOL. He had seen her walk by and let her go. At the very moment she was pointing  him out to me the old fellow stepped out of his car so I stuck my head out the window and called out to him , "Can she cook ? If she can , I'm keeping her !" He laughed back and it ended there. That was the second time on the same parking lot in the last 15 years. That first time the woman got in and closed the door before she realized she was in the wrong car with the wrong guy !! 

16 comments:

  1. A wee "old lady".. hummm was the he and she younger than thee?
    Elderly biddy!!
    Old fellow!!
    Or just a cotton top like YOU?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats funny! I have had that done to me but it was a lady - durn it!
    I have put my key in the wrong car door before.
    I think in all reality she saw you and did it on purpose. Just a little flirting on her part. LOL

    Now to the "biddy" part.....just about how old was she? What age do you think a biddy is?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Barb and Cindy Anne.... I guess the vocabulary I used 30 years ago to describe my elders has finally caught up with me As for the word "biddy " itself the Irish gave it a meaning woman who scoured dishes or cleaned homes.for a living. Daniel O'Connell often relates in his writings of occasional meetings along the Liffey River Promenade in Dublin with certain ladies of a certain age ..... greeting them as Biddy McGuire , Biddy O'Hara .... or the priest even in my home parish when I was a lad...... announcing Biddy Laura Murphy's funeral , etc..... I must admit though that the term is mostly disparaging in the global North American context. I'll delete it for a more appropriate word. Hugs to you both..... and you perky young gals are far from being "biddy " material !!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You sweet Irish lad! Such a charmer!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is just sooo funny! And how embarressing!! It sounds like something I might do. THAT is sad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL that is so funny! I would have loved to see your face! I can just imagine how embarrassed that poor lady must have felt lol, but it will be for sure a funny story for her husband to tell the rest of the family *giggles*.

    With this you reminded me of something similar that happened many many years ago, maybe like 20 years ago so. My memory is failing me WHO it was that were waiting in that car in the parking lot outside the restaurant/cafe that me and my Mom used to work at. Anyway, there were also an older lady that had just bought a birthday cake. And she went out, put in the cake in the backseat and opened the door to sit in front. Closed the door and..... then she let the wind go lol. She heard a cough and a soft laughter, glared on the person that were driving and it was NOT her husband.... lmao. Now that is something really embarrassing! I think the poor lady were about to die in shock lol.

    I have to ask my Mom a little more about this story lol. Maybe she will remember more than me!

    May you and Reb have a great day! =o) KRAM

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for the comment / story and best wishes , Mona.... my adventure was tame next to yours ! Your story was much funnier with the cake and the "sound effects "! That poor woman really had reason to blush. lol hope you and Timmy are well .. as we are awaiting another 40 cms of snow here ! AAAAGH ! Hugs !

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been walked up to on the street on more than one occasion in my life by people I don't know but who are positive they know me and start a conversation. It was only by realizing the blank look on my face that I wasn't who they thought I was. (c;

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well , Jim... I can think of a couple of Hollywood ..... not Bollywood..... actors people might mistake you for..... has anyone ever asked you for an autograph ?

    ReplyDelete
  10. No autographs yet. But I do still get stares. I usually catch them in restaurants and sometimes at the theater. But seriously, folks, what would HE be doing here?? **LOL**

    ReplyDelete
  11. x-chips I have never mentioned it because I thought it as just MY imagination.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I spent ten minutes once trying to open the boot of our car. Unfortunately the neighbour had bought a brown Simca, the same as ours, and when I looked down and saw the number plate I realised my mistake. The neighbour laughed, my husband laughed and I went red in the face.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I bet your face would have lit up dark room , Pat... LOL Extraordinary moment of distraction ! Herr Mensch must really have had a good laugh with that one.... as well as future material for ribbing you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nothing quite compares to the embarrassment of mistaking cars OR partners...feels just sooo stupid....
    There is a Camry here, which is a twin to mine...some years ago I exited the bank and climbed in it...and was gobsmacked to find the key missing from the ignition....!! It took maybe 10 seconds to realize I was in the wrong car...and feel like a sneak thief as I bailed out and headed for mine, which was parked in the shady spot where I'd left it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hiya Angh,
    That must have been in Sylvan Glade :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey , Angh..... great to have your visit ! Here's the scenario... You come back to your car to find the keys gone . However , there is a written message taped to the steering wheel , " Come to Room 101 , Sleazy Glade Motel two blocks down the street. You'll get your keys back...... and MORE ! Please bring six pack ! " Just kidding , my friend. I can just imagine your sneaking out of the car ! LOL Please give my best to Dan.... and come back often.

    ReplyDelete