Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Keeping It Cool Before Westinghouse !

 

Today's epilogue about pre - refrigeration days is an afterthought to yesterday's ruminations on Carnation milk. Keeping perishable foods safe for human consumption has always been one of mankind's main concerns...... and we were no exception to that Golden Rule back in the 30s and 40s when I was a lad in Pokiok .

First of all my Dad dug a giant hole in our backyard not far from the house , brought home two huge oaken hogs - head barrels from the docks and sunk them there ....... making sure that at least three quarters of both were well below the frost line. Into one he would put his dahlia tubers , rosebushes and various bulbs in late Fall so as to keep them safe from the harsh winter and ready for early budding  the following Spring  The other hogs - head would serve as kind of a root cellar for vegetables  from his garden.... potatos , squash , beets , onions , turnips , etc and he always kept the snow shovelled away from the cover for easy access during the cold months. I can still see the big scoop he had made from a long stick wih an old coffee can nailed to the end.... like a soup ladel... he used to retrieve vegetables from the sunken barrel. Finally there was this massive earthenware container..... an enormous crock with a heavy lid that Dad had lain hands on somewhere and managed to drag home. He sank it also into the earth right beside the other two ......but would use it for other foodstuffs mainly during the more clement seasons as a kind of "cool spot ". 

During the winter months we kept a rather impressive galvanized tub in the back porch which was boarded in where my folks kept smaller , frequently used items such as eggs , butter , milk , meats, etc.This was our version of an icebox. My Dad would leave metal pails outdoors half full of water overnight so they could feeze solid...... then bring them inside , set them on the stove for ten minutes or so to permit  the ice to  loosen up a bit around the sides ... then pop them into the tub in the back porch... throw a thick blanket over it and we were in business. In late Winter ..... maybe towards the end of March.... the men from our community would saw up 18 - square - inch hunks of ice from the Twin Ponds... our skating rinks.... and store them in a nearby  shack ... covered with sawdust and wood shavings. In this way we had ice well into the month of July..

In closing I would like to add that I have been blessed with two healthy sons.... now in their early 40s. Both pay very close attention to what's written on food labels as to the expiry dates and if it says "better before March 5th ", they will not eat it on March 6th ! They are a bit "persnickety " in that respect I guess !  I keep telling thm about my youth ... and before me ..... when folks simply used their common or horse sense to tell them whether  something was  edible or not. My counsels seem to fall on deaf ears.  

12 comments:

  1. My parents purchased their first home in St Laurent (suburb/Montreal) the winter of 1950. I was just over a year. I remember the fidge - a Westinghouse. Our summers revolved around a paddeling club on the back river. We (several families) shared a cabin that held 2 couches, a hot plate, a changing area and 4 lockers. An ice-box was also part of the decor. The ice man would deliver ice every day during the summer to keep our lunches and milk cold. My uncle told me how they would, when he was a boy, watch the men go out onto the ice and cut the blocks for the icehouse.

    I have always wanted a "cold room" - to put big bags of root veges in the fall, but alas it was not to be. A day or 2 past the past due is OK.. but I like the golden rule that prevents a bout of all night barfing.. when in doubt, throw it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your sons. I don't even drink milk if it's close to the date. I will cook with it though. Same way with eggs.
    I remember my aunt having a ice box and the ice man brought ice to her. I am still guilty of callling my fridge an ice box sometimes. I remember hearing folks back then calling it that although I never had one myself.
    I have been to the "day old bread" store before and put bread and other goodies in the freezer. It all taste pretty good when thawed out!
    Now on a whole other subject - I was talking with a friend today and we remembered eating pickled pigs feet when I was a kid. My dad loved them and bought them all the time. I heard the name and I saw the food but being young and dumb I still didn't make the complete connection to what it actually was. I haven't had one in years. I don't even see them anymore but there was a magazine article the other day saying how good they were for your complexion. How about you? Did you ever eat them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting blog. I can remember when we had our first fridge in the house. Those days people had to be resourceful. Not hard to keep things in winter in Canada but must have been very difficult in the summer. I'm suprised ice would keep so long in those shacks. I don't always pay attention to the dates, most things that are off show themselves pretty quickly :0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey , Barb.... thanks for your thoughts and comments.... as for the "cold room ".. well I am fortunate enough to have one in an isolated corner of my basement. The temp is roughly 3 degrees Celcius and all my veggies and preserves are kept there ... as qwell as a lot more junk !! LOL I likewise store my bulbs and dahlia tubers there along with all my Christmas decorations. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Miss Cindy Anne.... ma'am -----you and my boys would get along just fine from what you say LOL Kevin won't even eat Costco cookies after the suggested expiry date !! Yes , my dear , I have often eaten pig's feet... or hocks as we refer to them up here...... and especially pickled !! You can buy them here both fresh and ready for stewing or pickled in more specialized stores. Pig farming / raising is big here in Quebec so anything related to the porkers or their kinfolk is readily available in most supermarkets or butcher shops. Hugs !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah pig's trotters, my Nan's favourite along with tripe and onions in milk. Never my favourite that one. I did love oxtail soup though and 'Bath Chap' was Dave's favourite. That's pig's cheek, cured, smoked, rolled and breaded. Very tasty he used to love it in his sandwiches for lunch. The butcher used to make them for me, took a few weeks to prepare but it was worth it :0)

    ReplyDelete
  7. An interesting blog. All this was before my time. I remember hearing about the ice box with the ice underneath it but never used one or seen one used. I personally think is less healthy now because workers now do not take the care the used to or have a good work ethic. For years people could eat their steaks rare with no problem, now it is not as safe. It is a sad commentary for us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Chris.... I added the tripe in pic above just for you. It's the stomach of a huge harbour seal the Montagnais women would stuff with assorted smoked meats mixed with bear grease and cloudberries.... packed in there quite tight ... quite a snack ! Since it as sundried and smoked it lasted forever ....love what you were feeding Dave,,,, sounds like he was eating "high off the hog ".... sorry about that one !! lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey , Julie - Ann....you raise a question I had forgotten.... I still eat a complete sirloin steak raw on occasions.... or I cook it a bit and eat it rare..... at the restaurant my favourite joke with the waitress is , " I like mine dead ... but hot !"..... some like it cooked to léather but I simply can't eat it when overcooked. thanks for dropping by and commenting ... hugs !

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always get my steaks medium rare. Would rather it be on the rare side rather too done. I cook my hamburgers the same way. I, too, do not want to eat leather. IF at the packing plants the workers butchered properly, there would be no e coli in our beef. IF.

    hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pigsfeet ... mmm,mmm...

    Pickled herring also!

    I also learned the old fashioned way of looking at food, or feeling, smelling, etc. to see if it was spoiled or not. Throwing out food was considered a real *sin*.

    Also had to finish everything on my plate ... (sigh) ... am still in the process of fighting that habit!

    Thanks for the trip through time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanx for the pix LOL my Nan would probably have lapped that up :0)

    ReplyDelete