Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Settings Propitious to Thought , Meditation..... and Other Related Human Endeavours !!

Back in my former life in the old country ... Yahoo 360.... I wrote a series of blogs entitled "Cortona Chronicles " in which I described my life as a Catholic seminarian at Colleggio San Alfonso in Cortona ( Toscana ) , Italy in the late 1950s and early 1960s. I had a Vespa scooter at my disposal and would often take off to visit neighbouring towns , villages and cities... Siena , Arezzo , Assisi , Perugia , Spoleto , Foligno.... and one of my very special haunts ... Orvieto , about 60 kms south of Cortona .....a massive mound rising out of nowhere and towering some 800 feet high above the Umbrian Plain..Picture Ayers Rock ( Uluru ) deep into the Australian outback with a medievel Italian city on top and around the ramparts..Whenever I see the one the other automatically pops up in my mind.

With the war and its aftermath still quite fresh in the minds of the Italian people and the onslaught of tourism still a few years off into the future..... life was very easy going so I fit right into the picture and that is why I always chose Orvieto whenever I had some deep thinking to do , a long essay or dissertation to write up ., t might also be  some nugget of philosophical thought  that I wished  to explore or think through , such as... Quidquid recipitur , recipitur secundum modem recipientis.......( Whatever is received is received in accordance with the capacity of the receiver ) or Utrum Deus scit a priori ?  ( Whether God knows causally ? )quidquid movetur , movetur ab alio. Whatever is moved , is moved by another !! Real heavy duty stuff now that I look back upon it. After all , my hero Saint Thomas Aquinas had taught here in the Studium during the 13th century ! I am not certain that I reaped any practical benefits from these queries and studies except maybe better thinking skills , more developed critical judgement and a haunting awareness of  the limits of the human brain in fathoming such profound questions..... a very humbling experience , indeed !                                            

I would sit for hours across the street from the magnificent DUOMO or cathedral sipping Orvieto secco San Anselmo and feel utterly inspired by the exquisite and delicate mosaics , carved or sculptued statuettes and doorframes, rosettas , etc.  I have seen and visited many churches throughout the world and loved them all. However, the Duomo in Orvieto remains my favourite by far..... I have never seen a façade that could rival its beauty.

P. S. For better viewing and detail please enlarge pictures.

 

 

13 comments:

  1. I can see why you went there. Very inspiring. A good friend of mine lived in Perugia for 5 years. He adored being there. Thanks for the great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Quidquid recipitur , reciputur secundum modem recipientis.......( Whatever is received is received in accordance with the capacity of the receiver ) or Utrum Deus scit a priori ? ( Whether God knows causally ? )quidquid movetur , movetur ab alio. Whatever is moved , is moved by another !! "

    I have to wonder how these phrases work for Falwell, Roberts, O'Reilly, Bush, Huckabee, Romney, the world's shamen and speaking of them those who won't let US citizens travel to Canada to purchase medications while importing drugs from China which are harming patients.

    Is Orvieto big enough to hold them all?

    ReplyDelete
  3. ps For whatever reason the long shot of the city on the hill doesn't show when enlarged but the photo next to it does both for the long shot and the close up. If I didn't make that too confusing. (c;

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those phrases just could never work for that bunch. A scary bunch for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey , Julie Ann... I spent one sabbatical leave in Perugia later on in my career and my son , Kevin , was enrolled in that Colleggio per Stranieri where that American girl from Seattle is presently mixed up in a love - murder trialgle and plastered all over the news... CNN especially ! Yet another city built on a high plateau ! d

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey there , Jim.... I really can't imagine Jesus wearing that self-righteous , know-it-all smile or smirk seen on the faces of some of those you mention below. We seem to be free from overly overt religious fanatics in Canadian politics .... maybe that is why Seinfeld's Kramer would often record Canadian Parliamentary sessions for future viewing ! Have a great day... oh yes, I stole that pic , Jim , and can not blow it up ! Sorry !

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have quite a few colleagues in Switzerland Italian origines, some from Sicily, and have often been there for a holiday. It just seems to me if you want to build a village in Italy in the country then No. 1 build it on a hill top. No. 2 Make sure the cathedral can be seen from all around, and No. 3 the restaurant must be near the cathedral. There are some lovely churches and cathedrals in Italy. It doesn't matter really where you are, each part has its beauty (except for the towns - unless you like traffic jams).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tabbynera... What you say is so true about Italy... maye likewise for Central Europe as one can see the churches at Chatres , Köln , Ulm , Speyer , Mont St Michel , etc from kilometers away... They always told me in Italy that cities had been built on elevated sites for defensive reasons and also to avoid the valleys where infectuous diseases flourished and spread more easily than up in higher , more protected areas. The air was purer they would often add ....

    ReplyDelete
  9. One thing more , Jim... I have no problem making my Christian beliefs jive with evolutionary theory but to think that some powerful political leaders ..... with doomsday weaponry at their disposal.....are convinced the universe was created some 6000 years ago utterly scares the " bejaysus " out of me !!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You and me both!

    If applicants need psychological exams to join a police force (at least in NJ they did) then why not make potential leaders of business, politics and religion take the exams also?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jim... were such an exam mandatory , then most of them would have to use crib notes like George Costanza on his IQ test !! And as for sending them to Orvieto .. I think atop Uluru would be a more fitting place !!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that painted church. How gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete