Saturday, January 12, 2008

Climbing, Shaking and Trimming the Family Tree

PRELUDE / FOREWORD

As promised some two months ago I have finally decided to post the results of my research into my family history . There remains much more to uncover , discover and write up but this will do for now and hopefully one day my two lads will read this text with interest , respect and love for those who went before them...... thereby better understanding where they themselves come from. Top picture : Aunt Minnie .... Middle Picture : Matilda Georgiana and John Joseph ..... Bottom picture : Matilda Georgiana 

Growing up in the shanty-Irish North End ( Indiantown / Pokiok ) of Saint John , New Brunswick I guess I knew as much about my immediate forebearers as anybody else did about theirs........ an Gorta Mór or Great Famine of Ireland , the coffin ships carrying death , disease and survivors in the aftermath.......along with the tough times since their arrival in the adopted land.......long periods of quarantine on Ellis Island for those going to the States or on Partridge Island or Grosse Île for those coming into Saint John and Québec City respectively. One of my important ancestors , "surnamesake"  and future great grandfather ...... a lad named Séamas from County Donegal sailed into Saint John sometime during the Great Famine on a "coffin ship" along with his father , Owen ( John ) / Eoin , his mother  , Mary McShane and his older brother , Myles , a rather odd name for an Irish Catholic back then..... therefore easily spotable by someone like myself climbing the family tree a century and a half later. I am still researching the fate of his mother and possible other siblings. One tidbit I do know for certain is that he was born in Ireland in 1841. 

My Dad told me that Séamas or Old Jimmy as he called him , a millwright by trade ,spent most of his life piling lumber / deal at Murray's sawmill , doing carpentry work around Saint John and also shipbuilding in nearby Saint  Martins where he met and married his second wife , Mary  Buckley  , sister to Dan and Johnny  whose descendants had   moved  to Mars Hill , Maine where Fluff and I visited with their decendants during our recent trip to Northeastern Maine........touching base with my long-lost kin I guess........... all part of the search for roots !. But now , however , I'm jumping the gun chronologically !l My truly documented family history begins with Old Jimmy's first marriage to Anne Bryson which took place at the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception on November 3rd , 1862........ with Henry and Ann McGinn as best man and bride's maid. Of this union five children were born...Frances ( Fannie ) , 1864 , William , 1866 , Mary Ann , 1868 , John , 1871 and finally Catherine ( Katie ) , 1873...... who unfortunately would drown at age 13 in the Reversing Falls. Fannie married John Brookins and boosted the demographical statistics of Portland Street by a half dozen .....giving  birth to six children many of whom I knew in my youth , William went to Boston in search of fame and fortune and was never heard from after that , Mary Ann married Daniel Doherty and moved to Oregon ,   and then comes my grandfather , John Joseph ....born on January 11 , 1871 and died on May 15th , 1909 at age 38 of TB as well as from gangrene poisoning in his legs . My Dad told me that all he could remember of him was that he was tall and carried a big cane. I still have the receipt for the burial lot he bought at St Joe's Cemetery in 1908....... maybe he had a premonition of his imment death which happened the following year.

Sometime between Catherine's birth in 1873 and 1880 my biological great grand ma , Anne Bryson , died since the diocese archives bear witness to Old Jimmy's  second marriage to Mary Buckley ( mentioned above ) which , like his first , was celebrated at the Cathedral. Mary gave birth to only  one child .......Ellen G. ( aka Ella ) .... born in 1881 . She would later marry Ned Furness and live across the river from us in Fairville. I knew her well in my youth as Aunt Ellen ( she was really my great aunt though ) , a stubby , comely old lady with lots of facehair and a wide variety of odd hats. Old Ned smoked cigars and the pipe and their house "stenched thereof " !! He never missed a spitoon either .... not even at three paces !! Séamas / Old Jimmy died at the Saint John Infirmary on the 28th of January , 1924 , at age 83. Mary Buckley would die three years later at her daughter Ellen's home , 12 Mill Street , Fairville , NB......in December , 1927. She was 89.

Parallel to the drama unfolding in Saint John and of equal importance for the make up of my family tree are  the intermingled stories of the Brochet and Valpy families of the Gaspé Peninsula  and Isle of Jersey , one of the two Channel Islands ......... just off the French Coast but belonging to England the population of which was more or less bilingual. On February 2nd , 1843 at age 40 James Brochet of Jersey marries Henriette , 16-year-old daughter of John Laurens .... both likewise of Jersey. The marriage took place at Percé , Québec and eight children were born of this union. The third child , Mary , was born in 1847 and would become fatefully linked to my coming into being !! In her mid twenties while working as servant to Monsieur Dumaresq Valpy , originally from Jersey and local merchant at Percé , she became pregnant twice by him  giving birth to two baby girls.... the first in 1872 was named Emma , the second born in 1874 was christened Matilda Georgiana........ my own dear sweet Nanna whom I knew and loved so much !! I remember her well as she died in 1954 when I was 18 years old. Remarkably for that period in time Emma and Matilda , both illegitimate , opted for their biological father's surname , Valpy , and not that of their mother's , Brochet. Thus , my true biological great-grandfather , Dumaresq Valpy , was born on the Isle of Jersey in 1848 and died at Percé in 1890 .When in their early twenties Emma married Joe LeBlanc and moved to Montreal where she gave birth to three children ..... Roland , Lucienne and Edna called Deda whereas Matilda , accompanied by her mother , Mary , found her way  to Saint John , New Brunswick looking for work as a house servant. For years afterwards people would refer to Mary as " Aunt Minnie ". She never once told anybody what her true relationship was to Matilda , my Nanna  Matilda met John McAnulty and they were married at the Cathedral on July 10th , 1900 . They had two sons , Leo in 1901 and Edmond , my Dad , in 1903.

AFTER THOUGHTS

 

9 comments:

  1. You have quite a bit of information. Others in my family have done much digging. I have put it all together in one place. On one side I can go back to around 400 ad. That is amazing. The world was so small then. Many of my ancestors were from other countries. And were royalty, or near royalty.

    I do think we are affected by our ancestors. We went to Denver every summer to visit aunts/uncles. But the time spent in the mountains was minimal. Not enough to instill a great love of the mountains, the trees, the streams/rivers. But I have always yearned to be in the mountains. Then I went to Hälsingland. It was almost identical to Colorado. My great grandmother was from there. And many before her. Could her love of that area have affected my feelings now?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most interesting family history , Julie Ann... and what a goldmine you are sitting on !!! Back to the 4th century.... !! and royalty to boot ? Swdeish rioyalty ? recent royalty ? Anyone we might have read about in the history of Sweden ? or was royalty from some other country in Europe ? My folks were either simple peasant folk or seafaring mariners .... and , for the moment , I an only go back some 250 years as you have seen in my text ! You should blog about your family history with a stockpile of info you have there in that place you speak of ! Hugs !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Back that far the royalty was from many countries. But recent ones are the Earl of Vanås where there is a castle in Skåne. Looks more like a large manor house with a large lake. The lake was once a moat. His last name was Brahe & it was in the 1400s. He was related to Tycho Brahe, the astronomer. On my Irish side I am descended from a Lord Antrim. No idea of the year, but there is ruins of an Antrim castle. I will assume it was 'mine'. No one else anyone would know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you're finding lots of data. It's difficult, trying to decide where to start, isn't it? I keep trying and then get lost in the details. (sigh)

    hugs,

    ~Raenie

    ReplyDelete
  5. My brother and his wife have done some digging in family trees and sent to me some of the information and copies of documents they've dug up. However it seems the "official" records conflict with past tellings of what happened where, when and how. And although I find the entire thing interesting I've never had any desire to trace family history myself. (c;

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Raenie.... doing Fluff's geneology would be a charm as parish records in Sweden go way back in time and are very clear. I would imagine that German parish archives are just as stringent about births , marriages and deaths as their Swedish counterparts were of yore. Maybe your son might one day wish to know more "? Hugs !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Each to his/her likes and dislikes , Chips... I am an only child so if I don't do this now the bit I shed light on now would be interred with my bpnes as the poet once said !! And , to boot , I get a bang out of it the older I grow. Have a great week ...

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW..this is great. I have the names of my ancestors a lineage but no story to go along. All the family elders are gone now so there is no one left to pass that type information along...I wish everyone would take the time to write it down as you have done here. What a great Family Heirloom.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So well said , Dixxe.... I feel that I am the only possible link with the future gererations of Clann Mhic An Ultaigh .... my sons cannot do it as they have been emoved by time and space from the early players.... thanks for the very a propos comment ! Hugs !

    ReplyDelete