Thursday, January 21, 2010

A Tale of Two Almas !!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I find myself truly blessed in having two old family friends still alive and kicking... well , not kicking too high though !! not anything like a couple of young mules !! The older of the two is Alma Scott , my Mom's best childhood friend and bridesmaid at my parents' wedding in 1933. She turned 101 last September 25th and is presently lodged in an old folk's home not far from here. I visit her on and off and am always greeted by her adorable smile and a big " Ah ! Josie's boy , Gerd ! " .....

The second Alma ( in red above ) is Alma Joyce , the last sibling of the Joyce family still alive . This whole family ... parents included ... were among the closest friends my parents had... even tighter than kin. They were part and parcel of my childhood years.. I grew up in their midst. Alma slipped me my first drink when I was 17 years old.. a bit of a confident and a real live wire as she was 22 years older than me. Alma turned 97 last October 16th and is still as sharp as a whip. They are making her take these psychology tests nowadays to make sure she is still apt to make rational decisions about her life.... so I bought her a couple of bags of marbles to put in her purse and shall take them to her tomorrow. The next time one of the so-called psych students shows up with a questionnaire for her she'll simply say , " So you've come to see whether I still have all my marbles , I guess .....well , check my purse over there and I think you'll find my marbles are all there and accounted for ! " This should take the wind out of their sails.

 

P.S. The little man who looks like Doc Halladay is Uncle Mack... Gerry McElwaine , my Dad's best friend and best man et his wedding.. 

13 comments:

  1. That looks like 2 awesome women. You lucky to have them in your life. I love the marbles. Maybe I should carry some around to flaunt at others!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such a cool idea. Love it. Isn't it wonderful you still have them in your life? I know how much that means as I heard from my mom's best friend at Christmas who is 93.
    I bet both of them love seeing you around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel both honored and delighted to have gotten to know these two Almas. Alma 97 has almost become like a good friend ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew an Alma once..she was carrying on with a man in the rehab center I worked for as a PT aide. Her and Claude Asquith were caught with their gowns above their heads and I felt so badly for them. The Head Nurse decided that this was totally inappropriate behavior for persons of their 'age.' I about shit and quit right there!!!

    May your Alma's retain all the best things in life, whatever that definition might mean for them. I'd be honored to know them both too!!!

    You crack me up!!! Marbles!!! Marbles was SO perfect!!! She'll be flaunting those whatever opportunity she gets and they'll serve their purpose in a HUGE way too!!!!

    God Love You...cause I do :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are indeed very lucky to have had such a great "family" for so long.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for such kind words , Céleste......... and Randy must count his blessings indeed !! I just called Alma and instead of going to see her in her granny quarters we are going to bring her home with us on Sunday for a smoke ( she just started smoking last year , lol ) , a good stiff hooker of booze and a solid meal. She can't smoke where she is lodged and at New Year's they served us some cheap old blueberry wine. I'll fix that on Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good idea , Julie Ann... never know when somebody 's going to question our sanity nowadays. Maybe I should keep a few in my pocket like loose change ... I'm getting older too !! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cindy Anne....talking with your Mom's best friend must have brought you great pleasure .... so you easily understand how much fun I am having with these two ladies. And yes , I believe the marble idea to be fun... even funny ... as long as I don't overdo it !!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are so right , Jim... even though we are not related by blood the ties that bind us are extremely strong..... I am , indeed , a fortunate guy !

    ReplyDelete
  10. How are your Alma's doing these days?

    For that matter, how are you two doing??? Long time, no hear!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What? Do you mean to say you didn't see him in the Olympics? He was in both the ski jump and giant slalom!! (c;

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, the handsome guy in that scuba-type suit. I should have known!

    ReplyDelete