Saturday, April 19, 2008

Multitasking : Manning The Pumps And Potting Dahlias !!

 

Although the Yellow River had peaked last night , levelled off somewhat for a while overnight and then  dipped maybe a foot early this morning...........the poetic babbling brook is presently bubbling over with enthusiasm and Spring hormones once again. During the day the best vantage point from which to keep a close eye on the nearby creek is our sundeck. So yesterday aftrnoon I set up shop.... mon chantier ..... on the deck where so far I have managed to pot some 40 individual dahlias and also about ten flower boxes of gladioli and baby dahlias. My "meowmix " which I have named in honour of our dear McDuff is my own special recipe of lime , earth , peat moss and sheep manure. Crazy , eh ? Gardening with still a meter of snow on the ground !!! You all remember my greenhouse buried under deep snow barely three weeks ago ! And just seeing my rocking lawnchairs appearing out of all that snow after all these months truly warms my heart.  Might be another busy night , my friends.  

P.S. I received a call from the Pope while on deck earlier today.   

It's 1 : 30 am and water is slowly seeping into the sump holes .... not yet risen high enough to activate the floaters to set the pumps in motion.

9 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh....shorts... in all that snow!! The winter has really gotten to you hasn't it. LOL I don't blame you for wanting Spring and Summer.
    You still have so much snow on the ground but at least you can see the light at the end of the tunnel.
    I will admit your Dahlias are always so beautiful.
    That pool is starting to look inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Cindy Anne... yes , my dear , shorts are back from today until October !! I have sooo longed for Spring !! And right you are about the light at the narroww end of the tunnel... warm weather is her and th snow is on the wane !! HUgs !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Take care!!! When I have lunch with the Pope, I will have him say a prayer for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pictures! It sure do look a bit cold there with shorts with all that snow around lol. I can't wait to see your dahlias! You had so many pretty ones last year. Oh my, the Pope!? Did he call for some advice of some sort?

    Hope you're not having too much problems with the water...

    Be safe! KRAM

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is almost 3 am in the morning now and there are three raccoons and one wee skunk just outide the patio door munching on Fluff's leftovers ..... water rising slowly still in the sump shaft ... almost up to floaters now.... so it won't be long now .....thanks for puttig in a good word with the Pope , Julie - Ann...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shorts are here to stay , Mona, as I have been waiting all Winter to put them on again... so I chose today !! Right now Fluff is snoozing whle I stand guard by the pumps..... and reading some old Gaelic stories... and travelling between the basement and our office where I can watch some allnight TV too.... HUgs

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gardening has put that fire in his heart and it has warmed all the way to the legs...IM so glad its finally breaking up..Its amazing how much has melted..I heard the Northwest got blasted with snow yesterday....winter is not letting go so easy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is melting fast here too - we have dug out the shorts. Gardening? - will buy a nifty Basil plant at the Super C.

    I must admit to a form of stalking. I googled-earthed the Yellow River.. and tracked it's meandering course all over the place. There are a lot of people living along it's shores and a lot of them have pools. I am just wondering why you and they would need a pool with the river just a few steps away. Is the river not all that clean? I remember learning to swim in the Back River and then there was a time when it was just too filthy to even put a toe in. Now I think it is save and there are even ducks nesting on the shore line. I never saw ducks when I was a child.

    The Pope, huh - I always wondered if the Pope knew about the turkey part that is named after him. Next time he calls, could you please inquire.

    Hark. yonder, I hear the geese honking!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Same thing happens here in Ohio. Get a little sun and just about everybody is out in shorts and short sleeved shirts. And it doesn't matter how much snow is still on the ground.

    Vitamin "D" replacement, you know. (c;

    ReplyDelete