Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Jusqu'ici ça va !! So Far , So Good !!!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Given the vast stockpile of snow still in the hinterland and the exceptionally hot weather of late .......... our swollen friend , the Yellow River , has been flowing by our backyard .....almost to spillover level ..... for the last four days and nights. Our pumps stand in readiness and click on every now and then . This whole situation recalls the story about the guy who jumped off the top of the Empire State Building .... and who was heard muttering  as he passed by the 64th floor ,  , "So far so good !!"This anecdote expresses my attitude as I write these words this evening as the big threat usually follows the breaking up of the ice in some 20 - 25 lakes way upstream in the backlands. In the meantime we are staying alert .. watchful .... an ready to respond to any emergency. We'll keep you , our friends , in the loop. 

Arm in arm with all the aquatic fun and adventures I have been potting dahlias and  gladioli out on the sundeck and having a ball . My "meowmix "is particularly potent this year and I shall add the sheep manure when transplanting them into the flowerbeds sometime in early June. Ihave bought quite a few new dahlias lately ... and have posted a couple of pics above.

It is at this point that I wish to ask forgiveness of my blog friends and buddies..... I do not often make the rounds commenting  on your excellent creations . I'll try to do better once the imminent danger  that set afloat Noah and his gang has passed us by.. 

 

11 comments:

  1. I am glad that things are 'calm' so far. And that you can have lots of time to plant flowers. I await photos!!! Be safe. hugs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stay dry and we will forgive you for being very busy!
    Can't wait to see the fruit of your labours.
    What what the guy was saying as he passed the 2nd floor?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julie - Ann.... The best observation point to watch the ise and fall of the river is from atop the sundeck while potting bulbs.... already potted some 70 pots and flower boxes... thanks for the words of encouragement... Hugs !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Cindy Anne .... ma..'am , Your forgiving me has made my day..... The guy never made the 2nd floor because as he was going by the open window on the 10th floor , a guy stuck his arm out the window and gave the jumper a glass of Scotch whiskey ..... saying , "Take this ! It'll give you a boost !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Roflbo.......poor guy....is he still falling? lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have a river just down the path (River Aare) that rises and falls, but we are always too high up for it to reach us (up to now). We have a bit of flooding in the area near by now and again but mostly from the "Nebenfluss" Emme which doesn't affect us. And my dahlias have started showing their first sprouts - just have to make sure the cats don't trample them down as they are so fine at the moment. Keep up the good work - you are really brave to do planting in your area.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maybe there's no more ice to break up? Global warming maybe??

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much fo your most kind visit , Pat , and words of encouragement. While you are making sure your cats do not trample down your dahlia sprouts , I have to worry about night marauders in the shapes of raccoons , foxes and skunks. I am a great dahlia enthusiast and lover ..... inheriting that from my Dad who was an avid dahlia fan... almost 600 clumps when he died. Please come back again as I must be off now as the river just took a turn for the worse upwards ....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jim.... took a drive up to our big lake and the bugger is still frozen solid.... maybe ice two-foot thick and melting fast... bit of water around the shoreline so this is a good sign...... have a great day , my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad that everything seem to be "calm" so far! Really hope it will keep on staying calm!

    Really nice pictures! Can not wait to see your Dahlias. Love that Lady darlene one! Awesome colors!

    You do not have to ask for forgiveness Gerry! I understand that some things have to come first! I've not been so good myself lately with doing the rounds in the blog world, cause I too have had other things on my mind, plus the spring air, my allergies and the medication is making me totally exhausted in the evenings.

    Sköt om dig! KRAM

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kind , sweet Mona.... thank you so much for your understanding ..... and Lady Darlene has just changed names and become Lady Mona. If you remember one of my posts last Summer I often give personalized names to each one of my dahlias. I certainly hope that this Summer will not bring you too many allergies. Hugs !

    ReplyDelete