Tuesday, February 19, 2008

English For Americans ....American for Brits .... and Canadian Speech Plumb in the Middle !!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Most of us have friends and acquaintances caught up in the throes and mental anguish of learning the English language.In fact , I have one of these dauntless learners sleeping next pillow over  ...... who might very well startle me to full awakening at 3 o'clock in the morning by asking whether....... besides their indvidual specific meanings  ,,,,,, the words  "spatter , scatter , splatter , clatter , chatter , tatter and shatter " might share another all - embracing semantic feature ?  Or maybe something simpler such as whether " egotistic " could be a variant of "egoistic "? Yes , Fluff is an avid learner and will stop at nothing less than the mastery of the English language. Both she and her friend and countrymate , Mona , are well on their way to achieving that goal as  attested to by the quality of their excellent blogposts. So now enough said ..... and on to the raison d' être of today's post.

Let's suppose that a learner were to seek your help asking  you , an English speaker , the following questions. Please do not scurry for the dictionaries and grammars in search of  "correct" answers. Simply tell him / her what YOU think to be an acceptable response to his / her query. 

1. Your friend is playing Monopoly when one of the two dice rolls beyond her reach .......so she asks the player to her right to pass it to her. How should she formulate her request ? In other words .... what is the singular of "dice "?  

2. Recently your friend has been enhancing and enriching her knowledge of English by listening to some George W. Bush audio tapes The pronunciation of two terms caught her attention as to the number of syllables per word...... the two words were "heinous "and " mischievous " ! So , how many syllables ... 2 , 3 or 4 ?.

3. While listening to CNN news yesterday she  heard reporter , Carol Costello , describe a near miss between two airplanes on the ground somewhere in the USA. The planes came to a stop and passengers were taken off of the planes as soon as possible. Your learner friend wants to know whether she could also say "taken off the plane or planes " ?  Is one way more standard than the other ?.

4. And then come the pronunciation quandaries...... explaining the logical relationship between the letter  "o " and the real vowel sounds it represents in the words such as womb , bomb and comb !!.... or even worse in -ough - ending words such as though , bough , through , hiccough , trough , enough  , slough , plough , etc 

5. She might likewise have learned through her experience that  not knowing Jack Sh_t could be considered by some as a serious drawback and thus impede  one's intellectual capability and well - being. And Sam Hill ? Who in the Sam Hill was he and what is his place in North American speech ? And where did poor Benedict Arnold go wrong ? Not to speak of Tom Foolery !  

6. And how do you teach  a foreigner the full meaning of the word " snookums " and that warm and fuzzy feeling it kindles inside you the first time you find yourself in the privileged position of being able to  call somebody by that name........  get away with it and not feel odd  doing so !!

21 comments:

  1. 1. Well, half of a pair of dice is a die, but I think most of us would say 'Please pass me the dice'.
    2. First word has 2 syllables, the second word has 3.
    3. If they were taken off more than one plane, then one should say planes. If I understand your question. I am sick & tired with a mostly non-functioning brain tonite.
    4. I have no explanation. I just learned them the way they are. I suppose there might be a rule or two, but I have no clue. Just like some words in Swedish. There might be a rule, but I just learn them the correct way.
    5. I would have to look those up. Stories for all of them, I just now do not know. Maybe I need a course in English!?

    Fun post!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Julie has given up the same answers as I would...I admit I have been thinking of how profiecent Rebekah is with the English written and wondered if she has problems speaking it. I can read Spanish and understand a lot of what I read..but in my attempt to speak it you can tell I dont know Jack about what Im trying to say. Im certain Rebekah has almost total mastery of English. I did wonder did she give up her French lessons? It has to be very hard trying to learn yet another language. What about Rosette Stone? It does look simple. I learned a new word just from that commercial! Corre...meaning RUN

    ReplyDelete
  3. not total, but I feel pretty comfortable nowadays... I do believe that the greater vocabulary you have in a language, the more confident you get in speaking it. I sometimes get uncertain about on which syllable to put the stress.. for example: conTRIbute and not CONtribute. It's getting more and more rare though..

    I did wonder did she give up her French lessons? It has to be very hard trying to learn yet another language.
    Let's just say I've taken a break...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like listening to my swedish friends speak english because to do pronounce words a bit differently than we do. It is appealing to me. But my friend Lars.....when he emails me he spells english words as he thinks they should sound in swedish. Like if something shocks him, he writes chock. Or when he wrote about something made of tin, but he wrote teen. Sometimes it takes me a couple of readings to figure it all out. But he always makes me smile.

    I have the same trouble when I try to speak swedish. My accents are wrong but I have gotten a bit better.....if only in my own mind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1. "Die" as j5 said. 2. Do NOT under any circumstance allow anyone you know try to learn English by listening to "Dubya". 3. What j5 said. If 2 or more planes then add the "s" for plural. Actually the correct word for "taken off" should be (I think) debark or disembark but TV reporters have to think on the spur of the moment at times and also not a good source for correct English. 4. I believe some of the spellings and pronounciations come down from "olde" English so you will have to find some "olde" English people to help you there. (c; 5.There's an entire series of word play that go with Jack Sh_t but I don't have it available; I thought Sam Hill was a name or nickname for someone maybe living in Texas early in the county's history; Benedict Arnold betrayed the new Union here by becoming a turncoat and working for the British (their hero, our villian); Tom Foolery I always thought went back to the court jesters of yesteryear in Europe? 6. "snookums" is a pet name. Not, not necessarily for pets but also for a loved one. It seems to take the place of words and sayings like, "My love", "Dearest" and "B_tch". ROTFLMAO

    ReplyDelete
  6. Single is die but I guess most people would use the dice word in a request

    2 and 3 respectively

    I would think she should use planes as there were more than one. I have no idea which is standard.

    The English language is so rich in words that just don't appear in other languages so sometimes it must be very frustrating to learn it. Just don't start putting Cockney rhyme in there else they'll really get confused. They would have no idea what was meant as it really makes no sense. After all who would associate 'climbing up the apples and pears' with going up a flight of stairs, or 'putting on his best whistle and flu' with wearing his best dress suit!! I used to be a volunteer tutor for the Literacy Guild and I can attest it's not easy to try to explain my own language!!! Hugs Chris :0)

    ReplyDelete
  7. A big thanks to you all for your comments and input . I simply wanted to throw a few ideas out there to see what the response would be .... so huge thanks for your contributions. As for the word " dice ".... I think the only time we use the singular form nowadays is in the proverb... the die is cast ! And the proverb remains the ultimate stronghold and repository of conservative archaic forms. As Julie - Ann and others have said... we know that "die " exists and might use it to get a laugh or bug our fellow players .... yet spontaneously use "dice " in every other instance. In French and Gaelic the proverb reads " Les dés sont jetés " and " Tá na díslí caite " respectively .... " The dice are cast " whereas Swedish and Italian back up the English version.... the die is cast ! One thing sure in all this is that people all over the world are rolling a polka - dot cube or polka - dot cubes to sort things out and settle scores or problems.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I 'll come back here a bit later to comment "heinous "and "mischievous ".and others... ..

    ReplyDelete
  9. What prompted the choice of these two words were the comments I heard one evening on CNN by two well - known politicians spoutin g out aganst "the mischievous ( mis - chee - vee - yus ) imp from Tehran " and " the heinous ( hay - nee - yus ) acts of Saddam "" ..... the additional syllables caught my attention because I had heard these improvements or amendments to the English language before.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Language seems to be a living, breathing entity constantly changing and that seems to include the spellings as well. It can get frustrating over time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I only just saw this blog - interesting. I don't think I could answer those questions so well. I have so many languages revolving in my head. Part of my life is to explain to my colleagues in the office meanings of various english phrases, but sometimes I do have to look them up myself. Example - yesterday I had to check a translation and one word was German "Katalog" - english catalogue, but then I was asked if it wasn't catalog as she saw this in many American letters. I explained I was (emphasis on was) English and didn't really bother with American spelling. Now I ask if catalog would not be better as catalogue and whether it is still catalogue in English - very confusing, been away too long.

    ReplyDelete
  12. While born and raised in the US I've always gotten quite piqued when someone calls me down for using English spelling and calling it 'wrong'.

    I tell ya' an education is a terrible thing to waste on people who have no real ability or desire to use it. (c;

    ReplyDelete
  13. It works both ways really. I even bought myself a Webster's dictionary a couple of years ago to keep in the picture. Languages seem to be going through changes all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wasn't it George Bernard Shaw who once wrote something somewhere ,,,, whilst referring to America and Great Britain..... "two nations DIVIDED by a COMMON language "! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jim, speaking of "wrong", it took me a couple of minutes to figure out that smilie there. It's "wrong" because it's turned the wrong way. I'm happy I saw that. It's cool. Makin' me use my brain!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I enjoyed your post. It made me think. I agree with a lot of what was said in the comments. Now, I learned on the History Channel that while Benedict Arnold turned against the Revolutionaries that he did so because he was constantly taken out of the fight as another guy (sorry, can't remember his name) kept taking Arnold's ideas and positions and using them for himself. That really ticked Arnold off, so he became a turncoat. If you haven't seen it, "The Revolutionary" on the History Channel is fantastic. I need to watch it several more times so I can remember everything I thought I learned.

    ReplyDelete
  17. laney3, I got that smilie from reb (webbly) who visits this site often. I'm sure she'll get a kick out of your observation because the first time either of us saw it we were a little "thrown" also. (c;

    ReplyDelete
  18. My wife won't let me watch the History Channel. Not enough sex and violence I guess. ROTFLMFAO!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. It was Ethan Allen who took the credit for taking over Fort Ticonderoga, leaving Benedict Arnold all ticked off. I'm watching the show today, as I am home ill. What timing, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  20. I didn't know that. Keep watching I need to learn more. (c;

    ReplyDelete
  21. LOL, your wife needs to let up for this series!

    ReplyDelete