Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Went Fishin' This Afternoon !

                                                           

Since Fluff was going to the zoo with Isabel I decided to take the ferry across the Kennebecasis River to Summerville and Bayswater to tease the trout , pickerel , perch , gaspereau , bass or anybody else scaly with gills who liked night crawlers. So there I was on the edge of Milkish Creek...... 40 or more Canada geese on one side whooping , barking and splashing around with myself on the other side moaning , cussing and damning the fish that weren't biting... too bloody hot I guess !! Anyways a good time was had by all on an absolutely glorious afternoon in a very peaceful picture - postcard setting.

Southern New Brunswick is a land of ferry boats and covered bridges...... they are everywhere ! Today I would add two more items to that list that local folks never think about until they move away from here .... and boomerang back again like myself after living elsewheres .......... wild appletrees and cedar trees !! Driving along any lonely country road around here one is struck ..... especially at this time of the year.......by the great abundance of appletrees laden with Mother Nature's red 'n sour answer to drugstore Exlax. My Mom always warned me that should I eat too many I would spend the night in the outhouse with terrible cramps in my belly...... but we ate them anyways !! The other day I drew Fluff's attention to this phenomen as we drove along just one back road ...so today I started counting and stopped counting the trees after I had reached 30 for one rather short stretch of the same road....... mind boggling !!

  

 

 

 

 

 

 

When I was in Quebec I had but ONE cedar ( thuya ) on my property and could not find another one anywheres else ... and God only knows I looked ! Today I was walking through cedar groves all afternoon. .... many of which were close to two feet in diameter.........and in my youth out in th back forties ....not far from here ........we had nothing else surrounding our house but spruce and mainly cedar with the odd yellow birch and rowanberry tree. Ah  , the rowanberry tree !! Now there is another species that you find everywhere around here .. and especially noticeable nowadays since the berries are red and bittersweet.... full of alcohol to inebriate unsuspecting birds !! Alleluja and amen !! 

N.B. Please enlarge apple tree !... and two photos at bottom.

7 comments:

  1. Only really went fishing once. Off Long Island Sound on a very turbulent weather day. So bad only the guy who brought me on the fishing trip and I were still fishing. We really cleaned up. Filled several buckets with snappers (I think they were....it was a long time ago).

    My friend asked me why I managed to catch so many fish so I told him he was a good teacher. Actually it was just as much "beginner's luck" IMHO. (c;

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fishing is like that , Jim.... sometimes ... as in your case... a windfall.... and then other miserable times with no luck at all. I've been at both ends over the years. .. and then there is the fact that you cannot catch them if they are NOT there when you are !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful post. I was starting to smell the fish dinner. I think it is fun even if you don't catch anything and your scenery sounds fantastic. Would love to see it in person.
    Who eats all those apples? Are they on public property?
    I can't wait to see what the turning leaves look like.

    Are there Bears in them thar woods?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why thank you kindly , Cindy Anne.... with these kind words I feel encouraged to post more often. This whole area is one huge fairyland,,,, water on all sides ... and these trees are mostly on public lands so we kids would often load up our carts and bring them home to our mothers to make apple sauce and apple pies. And yes , there are "bars "in them woods... along with deer , moose and other well - known varmints and these apples serve as food for all......... even in many cases bringing about their own demise as hunters simply sit in blinds near the appletrees a cold beer in hand and wait for hungry customers to venture out of the forest.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great photos! Sounds like an awesome day. What a great place you live in!!! Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you , Julie Ann , for your kind words. Yes , it is indeed an enchanting , quaint and many - faceted region. Back in Quebec I could only reminisce about this area of my youth whereas nowadays I can jump into the car and , keep on reminiscing ..... and actually exploit once again the objects of my reminiscence..... and bring them up to date .... even enhancing them should I wish to do so.... great stuff !! HUgs !

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a nice blog and photos! =o) Glad that you had such a nice day!

    Wish you a wonderful coming weekend KRAM

    ReplyDelete