Thursday, September 24, 2009

Cuzins By the Duzins !!

 

The other day we went over to Bayshore at the mouth of the harbour. I sat on the bulwark above the beach while Fluff ....... always looking for some action ...... prowled the sands below lining up as many unfortunate gulls and cormorants as possible in the crosshairs of her super - duper camera lens ........ and looking very professional too , I might say ! All of a sudden a fellow my age siddled up to me , hunkered himself down and , pointing to the island a bit offshore , asked me the following question , " Do you know what that is out there ?" ( With Fluff shooting everything in sight down below and me disguised in tourist garb the guy had taken us for out - of - towners ). "Why yes , " I retorted , " some of my distant kinfolk and forebearers have been fertilizing the plant life out there for nigh onto 160 years." He laughed , saying .... " so you're from around here , are you ?" .... to which I answered , " Yeah , I'm a Northender ." 

It turned out that he was a Westsider of Irish origin like myself who had just come back from a three - week tour of the Old Sod and we were on his turf... in fact , he just lived up the hill a wee bit from the beach behind us. We chatted on for some time about Partridge Island there before us ( our own little Ellis Island ) , growing up poor in the 1930s - 1940s , Catholic parish life and how it had changed , etc........ but it was when we exchanged family names that all my geneological bells started tolling loudly. He said his name was Greg Hayes. Now my grandmother on my mother's side was Annie Hayes from the West Side !! .... and back in 1925 when she died her brother , Michael , who lived at Market Place on the West Side  was mentioned in her obituary as well as her sister , Catherine. My Mom often referred to Uncle Mike and we had Aunt Catherine ( Kit ) living on and off at our house in my childhood. I can even remember attending Aunt Kit's burial at Holy Cross Cemetery in 1944 when I was 8 years old.And to boot I still have her old standing rocker she brought from Ireland here with us ..... one of the few pieces of antique family heirloom furniture I have not let go of yet.

For the sake of brevity .... thereby sparing my readers the arduous yet palpitating details of our conversaton and the complexities of kinship terminology ..... it turned out that Michael Hayes was Greg's grandfather ....... so his grandpa and my granny Hayes were brother and sister ! ......... and Greg and I are second cousins !!  

We shall get together soon for coffee and an exchange of old snapshots. I feel blessed and enriched .......

12 comments:

  1. How neat is that! You are most definitely blessed and enriched. What a wonderful meeting. To me that is no coincidence - it was meant to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How right you are , Cindy Anne... in fact , Greg is the 2nd second cousin I 've "unearthed " since we moved back here. The first one was from my father's clan of scoundrels. You never know whom you're going to bump into around here when out for a walk !! Hugs !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow! I am really glad for you both! I am sure you'll have a very interesting meeting next time with old photos and more stories! =o)

    Really great news! KRAM

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes , Mona dear , we shall certainly have a true "gabfest" ( lots of chatter ) the next time we meet armed with old family photos. He does not know yet that I have so many oldies of a branch of the family he has only heard about but never knew in person. Hugs to you and the lad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't that fun? I loved when I found 'new' family in Hälsingland and in New Zealand. Just awesome!! I look forward to hearing more. hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is , indeed , an exciting discovery , Julie - Ann. I know who my 1st cousins are but had never thought about 2nd and 3rd degree kinfolk. I think I'll retitle my blog . "Out of the Woodwork They Keep Coming !".

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a super way to bump into a long lost, heretofore unknown relative!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Sean, it really is a small world and sometimes life seems to be planned, even if you can't see it because it's over the next page !!! Glad you're enjoying life out east. Fluff is definitely having fun with her camera !!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's really great! I wonder if I have any long lost relatives wandering the beaches around here... (lol) Don't know why they'd be here, if there are. (Heeh)

    Take care ...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Chris.... hi there , ..... heard you had a " whale " of a time in Quebec recently . What a shame we were not there to show you a good time in la Vieille Capitale ! Yes , you are right about maritime life as we recharge our batteries every day somewhere along the Fundy Coast and are loving each and every moment of it. Maybe you shall come this way some day ? Hugs !

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey there , Raenie.... maybe you won't find too many of your own relatives on Mass beaches ... but finding you and Chris ( Wyngym ) in here this morning side by side is very much akin to running into long lost kinfolk for me...... kinfolk from Yahoo 316 ! Hoping all is well with you and that some day you will take a short hop up the coast to see us ? HUgs !

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh yes what a pity I didn't get to Quebec before we could have had fine dining and wining LOL. You never know though one day I might get out to the east coast :0)

    ReplyDelete