Tuesday, September 22, 2009

A Hunting We Shall Go !

It's hunting season again here in New Brunswick and yesterday an article appeared in the local newspaper urging the folks in this area to report any acts of illegal or unlawful hunting practices..... even waving a $ 2000 carrot at the end of the line by way of reward. As I said to Fluff , "Snitch and get rich ! " Anyways the bears are on the run as archery hunting began last week..... and moose season gets underway this coming Thursday. It must be real hard on the nerves to fully enjoy mating season when you're being shot at all the time  !! The poor buggers !! Deer hunting with bow and arrow kicks in on October 5th and with firearms on October 26th.  

The spokesperson for the Ministry of Natural Resources was interviewed and enumerated the usual litany of the " don 'ts" of hunting ... no baiting with apples , no salt licks , no night hunting with spotlights , etc .... ending her question and answer period with the following words of wisdom , " We want to ensure the sport of hunting and fishing for future generations. For our children and grandchildren we have to protect our natural resources. A lot of people think these offences ( illegal and unlawful hunting acts ) just happened years ago but it still happens. THE ANIMALS DEPEND ON US TO SPEAK FOR THEM BECAUSE THEY CAN'T SPEAK FOR THEMSELVES " "

What a heap of skunkdung !!.... and poor grammar to boot !! 

Were the animals able to speak I believe they would say something along these lines........ " Those are not at all our wishes ,Madam.  Screw your hunting laws and regulations for tracking us down and killing us ... how about NO SHOOTING US AT ALL !!

Photos by Fluff.... friends we met while out for a drive upriver.

N.B. I am by no means an "anti - hunting " nut , my friends. Reasonable hunting for personal consumption is OK in my books. However , when politicians start speaking on behalf of animals and uttering stupidities I get critical !!  

8 comments:

  1. Well Lonesome I can not say that I have never gone on a hunt. Many times in my younger days I did just that and ate every bit of it. NOW it is a different story. I would rather enjoy their beauty in their natural habitat.

    I "feel" for our Game Wardens. They have a difficult and dangerous job being out in the woods with all the loaded weapons around. Some have been killed that way. There is still plenty of "good old Bubba's" who use the spotlight at night and sometimes just injure the animals and I hate that. It is bad enough to see all the dead animals on the roads - especially from the semi's that won't slow down and in some cases can't slow down in time.

    I can't believe what that lady said about the animals. Sounds like a nutcase to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there , Cindy Anne.. hey don't think I'm against hunting ! I've done my share of small game hunting... I'm simply opposed to wasteful , useless and destructive killing of our wildlife. .... and the way caretaker - politicians speak so "soothingly " on their behalf !! The roadkill stats were in tonight's paper.... for 2008 2782 deer and 478 moose were killed along our highways and herein lies a whole other debate !! Many human lives were lost also.And we have our own "good old Bubbas "uphere likewise , Cindy. In rural areas around here folks are well armed .... guns galore.... where hunting and fishing are a way of life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really do not like hunting and I agree. The animals would plead not to be shot at. IF a person hunts for food, that is one thing, but to hunt just to prove you are manly and can kill something, I hate. Or to have a trophy on your wall. How sad that is.

    And. People might learn to drive defensively instead of driving 10+ miles over the speed limit like a mad man. Or woman.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Julie - Ann... trophy hunters and spoilers really pee me off ... especially when I see them driving around town with the radio blasting and a majestic moosehead ... antlers and all ..... astraddle the hood. Hope you are high and dry down there with all the disastrous flooding taking place in neighbouring states.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are high and dry, well damp. And we are quite chilly. It is 56F now and will drop in the 40s tonite. Good for sleeping!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Daddy gonna shoot Bambi"?!?!! (c;

    Punch line of an old bit by Southern comic who went by the name Brother Dave Gardner.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well seem like that lady thinks she is some "Animal whisperer"...

    I could never hunt as I am too soft, I mean look at them eyes!! I could never kill any animal...

    I got 2 brother in law's that hunt though. But they do not do it as a "sport". They do it to keep the population down in certain areas.

    Lovely photos! =o)

    Wish you a wonderful day HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Mona... I could not even imagine you or Fluff with a gun out hunting ducks !! Lol. It would be a topsy - turvy world... the world upside down !! Hugs to you and the lad.

    ReplyDelete