Tuesday, August 5, 2008

I Miss Raoul !!

I went out one sunny morning in July and there he was......hunkered down on one of my red pompom dahlias......... such a fine - looking wee "sauterelle "or grasshopper. I didn't think any more of him until I came out the following morning and found him still squatting on the same dahlia...????? The third morning I named him Raoul... pronounced with a long , drawn - out Texas drawl ! Wondering whether Raoul had simply landed there , liked the surroundings and view and pitched his tent OR had chosen that specific dahlia because of the colour....... sooo I grabbed him and set him gently on the neighbouring white dahlia named Sterling Silver ( my Dad's nickname for a big white dahlia ) , stepped back to see what Raoul would do .... if anything.

At first mio piccolo cavaletto... my wee horsie..... seemed dazed..... but within ten minutes he had flown back to the nearby red pompom dahlia.... but not to the same flower.. I grabbed him again and placed him on an adjacent cluster of green leaves. Five minutes later Raoul was back on his red dahlia.

About one week later I went out one morning and my pet grasshopper was nowhere to be found. Maybe Raoul had finally decided to break camp ..... when I looked across the lawn to the roof of my greenhouse and spotted a smiling robin.........and high above him three undertaker birds in a dead tamarack looking pretty smug......... ???????? 

12 comments:

  1. Your little Raoul was "seeing red that day".
    Robins always seem so healthy looking - all plump and such.
    Now that doesn't look like the undertaker birds around here - which are Buzzards.
    I hope you all have a wonderful trip and come back safe and sound!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Cindy Anne... naw , those are huge ravens ... and how true about robins ... we here adore them as they bring us Spring !! Thanks for the good wishes ... we'll be extra prudent on the road. Hugs to you and good luck with your moving plans and projects.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I detest grasshoppers. IF the weather is hot & dry, we get thousands of them. Some years you can walk in the yard & it is like splashing in water ----- with each step hundreds splash into the air. Usch!!! They are so destructive. They eat everything in our yard & hurt our alfalfa. Then we have to spend hundreds of dollars to get rid of them. They are not good to have around. This year we are just now seeing a few. Not such a bad year.

    Have a great trip & be safe. hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see what you mean , Julie - Ann .. like my buddy back home in New Brunswick who has a huge carrot farm.... woke up often to find a herd of pretty deer in his fields gobbling up the profit in early Septembre !! I still love deer though .... and am waiting for another Raoul to light on my dahlias once again. Thanks for the well wishes... hugs !

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have hundreds of deer here. They do not seem to harm what we raise. I love to see them. I love all the critters around here. I know people who hate rabbits or squirrels or whatever & work to hard to be mean to them, drive them away, try to starve them. I love having them. But grasshoppers ------- nothing is bad enough for them!!! *LOL*

    ReplyDelete
  6. OK , Julie - Ann ... you can rest assured that should we ever drop in on you in passing some day on our way to Arizona.I won't bring Raoul along with us ! I leave him in Ohio with Jim on the way by !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohhhhh Raoul maybe thought the red dahlia were a pretty woman and he fell in love??? Or maybe he just were totally amazed of that red color.

    I hope Raoul noticed the robin and are just hiding somewhere. I'm sure he will show up again ;o)

    Have a safe trip! KRAM

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nature seems to have it all sorted out ahead of time...HE should have taken safe haven on a Green Dahlia!

    ReplyDelete
  9. is it true grasshoppers spit tobacco? or is that an old wives take told to little children so they don't go bringing them into the house?

    And another thing... there was actually a sunny day in July!!!???

    How can you tell if a Robin is smiling or merely giving you his regular Robinish smerk?

    Dead tamaracks make all living things look smug...especially undertaker birds who are so brazen as to flaunt their shinny feathers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've seen some grasshoppers here but not a lot. Maybe the kind of birds we have has something to do with that. Or maybe our winters. (c;

    Tell Raoul to not pack to much and leave our kittys alone.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Willie always says that hot dry weather brings on grasshoppers, but wet cooler weather does not. It seems he is right,

    ReplyDelete