Sunday, August 3, 2008

Baneberries !!

 

A while ago I was just sitting around here minding my own business and trying my damnedest to keep out of trouble .... so I grabbed Fluff's camera......after asking her permission , of course ............and went outside to snap off a picture or two of some of God's and Mother Nature's herbaceous creatures ........ then comment on them. What follows here is the pure , unadulterated fruit of my endeavours. 

Outside the front door under the spreading cedar tree I found these two subspeciesof baneberry growing almost side by side like next - door neighbours...... both red and white ( also named Doll's Eyes ). So much for my walk in the woods !! Now the word " bane " is not  a common utterance in everyday speech. I had often seen it used back in Shakespearean times or even in modern times with Churchill wondering whether Mussolini would prove to be a " bane or a boon " to Hitler's war effort. My father often referred jokingly to my mother as being "the bane of his life "!! I always thought he was alluding to an anglicized pronunciation of the Irish Gaelic word for a woman.... "bean "..... but this was not the case !

The noun "bane " is an Old English word connoting "that which causes death , which causes ruin , poisonous , etc . Since Old English , Dutch , German , Icelandic , Danish , Norwegian and Swedish are all related German languages  I asked my brilliant partner , Fluff , whether the root "bane " meant anything to her in modern - day Swedish ..... to which she answered  , "Why yes , in the word " baneman "...... assassin or slayer. " I told her she had made my day !!  Moral of the story , therefore...... eat strawberries , blueberries , raspberries and leave the baneberries to the birds as they are not toxic to our fine - feathered friends.   

15 comments:

  1. The first thing that came to my mind was the saying "he's the bane of my existence" .
    The berries are very pretty and now I am confused. I always thought if a bird could eat it WE could to. I am glad you got me clear on that!
    Nice to know you haven't forgotten us - sure good of you to check in !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just horsing around with the wildflowers , wildfruit and such that I love so much , Cindy Anne... and staying clear of trouble ! Thanks for the kind words as I miss you gus too .... but I guess I shall simply have to get off my fanny and start making the rounds .... just so much going on in my life and we are heading out on the road again some time real soon.... hugs and steer clear of baneberries !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. how very interesting. I always learn something from you. I guess baneberry pie is not a good idea!! hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "he's the bane of my existence"

    That's the one I knew and from it knew "bane" was not good. (c;

    Interesting about the baneberries. In any case I wouldn't eat anything I see growing wild. Case in point a Vietnamese woman who owned a local restaruant found some mushrooms growing in the Cleveland area she was sure identical to those she used to pick wild in Vietnam. Wrong! She almost lost her life.

    Then there was the time one of the Chicago newspapers printed a story about healthy mushrooms vs unhealthy mushrooms. It was in the Sunday edition of the newspaper and they wated until the following Sunday to warn readers the photos identifying the two different kinds had been switched.

    Whoops. (c;

    ReplyDelete
  5. Baneberry pie would be strictly for the birds ... so to speak... Julie - Ann... lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Right you are , Jim.... something like a curse that brings on evil , etc And you really hit the nail on the head with the mushroom stories. True toadstools or poisonous mushrooms are quite common in our woods here in Quebec. In fact the 'TOAD " in toadstool does not refer the the frog's ugly cousin but rather to its old meaning of "death "... see modern German Tod = Death ! Take care , Jim... good to see you still hale and hearty

    ReplyDelete
  7. Trust me, any pie I bake is for the birds, poison or not!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will stick to blueberries and raspberries (am allergic to strawberries) And I will definately stay away from the baneberries as I do not want to meet "banemannen!" =o/

    Nice photos and interesting post Gerry! =o) Wish you and your lady a wonderful week! KRAM

    ReplyDelete
  9. So nice of you to use large print......for us old fogies pushing seventy......Yeah, I know......some of us are already there, aren't we.......

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Bill... God bless you .... I fully realize that it's somewhat past your bedtime , oldtmer !! However , I am always edified to see that not all our seniors are internet - challenged but rather able to find their way through the maze of modern technology with all its complexities. Hats off you old geezer !!Now go back to bed !!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Julie - Ann.. I just downed a huge hunk of brambleberry pie .. I love pie so bring them on !!

    ReplyDelete
  12. brambleberry??? Do not have that here. One pasture has a mulberry tree. only berries around here that grows wild.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hej Mona.... to hell with the strawberries then and pile on the blue and raspberries. The latter are in full season now in both our countries so go for it , gal !! Hugs to you and the lad !

    ReplyDelete
  14. Me again , Julie - Ann brambleberries are a mixture of blackberries and raspberries.... berries that grow on brambles I guess ! Maybe a Canadian thing ?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Maybe. I had never heard that expression so I learned something new!!

    ReplyDelete