Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Anchors Away ! We're Off Tomorrow !!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Just a few words about where I am taking Fluff tomorrow. First of all I want her to see the world - famous Hopewell Rocks on Hopewell Cape at the far end of the Bay of Fundy.... between New Brunswick and Nova Scotia. These sandstone rocks have been sculptured into artistic masterpieces by the highest tides in the world over zillions of millennia.... so it is written !! I think she will thoroughly enjoy seeing them up close.

Then on to Saint John , my hometown. Samuel de Champlain sailed into the above harbour some 404 years ago last June 24th , four years BEFORE he founded Quebec City .... local joke !! In both pictures you can see Fort Howe Hotel where I organized my parents' 50th wedding anniversary back in 1983.... overlooking the harbour and surrounding area. That whole waterfront tract  below was formerly the Shanty Irish part of town ..... full of old tenement buildings. The Fort Howe Hotel 's address reads : 10 Portland Street. My greatgrandparents . my grandparents and my own dear Dad used to live at 14 Portland Street back in the late 1800s and early 1900s........ on the very site where the hotel now stands. I have booked us in here for the weekend so I guess ..... in an odd sort of way ..... I'm simply taking Fluff back to the old homestead.

 .

 

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for showing these pictures and for the nice post! =o) I really hope you will get a safe and wonderful trip! KRAM

    ReplyDelete
  2. great photos! You and Reb have a great trip & be safe. And I look forward to more photos!! hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you must be a "romantic".
    This trip looks like it will really be interesting and fun. Hope you have a really wonderful time.
    Thanks for stopping by my birdies earlier.
    Don't forget photos of all you see!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a wonderful trip is in store...and lots of nice memories of special places...Drive safely.

    ReplyDelete