Saturday, December 15, 2007

Deck The Halls With Boughs Of Holly..............


There is rarely a dull day around here so today was no exception. Yesterday was outrdoor tree day ...........anchoring the firtree in its heavy iron stand against overzealous blustery winds or other wintry foes. Instead of the usual red and green lights this year I happily gave in to Fluff''s request and strung two sets of pure white LED lights , thereby enshrouding the Christmas fir in that " pure-as-the-driven-snow " glow. We likewise have decided that the tree shall be mobile this year...........at the front door , outside patio door , in corner of verandah , out by the road , etc

Since I was in a Christmassy mood this afternoon  I set out up to harvest and fetch spuce and fir boughs with which to weave my Yule Wreath onto a frame I had already built beforehand..............Soooo up snd over the hump of snow along the road and laid down my aluminum ladder to step on rather than  sink hip deep into Mother Nature's fluffy-white mantle. Now Merriam Webster and I don't see eye to eye on the definition of the word "bough " , portraying it as a branch of a tree and especially the main branch. Being brought up in rural New Brunswick I got my basic training in zoology and botony from my Dad and other elders of our wee community and for us a bough is a limb of all coniferous evergreen trees whereas a branch is its leafy-tree counterpart. I guess the song hinted in the title has got it right........Deck the halls with boughs of holly........... since science tells us the the holly tree is an evergreen.

Just as I finished clipping off the last bough I slipped off the ladder and sank belly-button deep into the white stuff..... so I simply keeled over and rolled out to he roadside , dragging the ladder along with me  as I rotated......thus the snowy look in the second picture.

2 comments:

  1. Oh what a pretty tree! It's really "strange" to see that you have so much snow and we have nothing at all! We only have a little frost. There are a few days left before Christmas so it's still a change we will get a white christmas.

    I wonder if you will feel your muscles today after rolling around in the snow... I will also have you and Becky in my thoughts. Hope you'll be fine and that the snowstorm won't hit you hard! KRAM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stop drop and roll is only if you are on FIRE...LOL I have to laugh although Im sure it was not funny at the time, but I can see your regular shoes are full of snow...I cant wait to see the tree all in white light...Have a wonderful day today and one question...was Fluff laughing while you rolled with your boughs or was she trying to help you up...I see she was snapping pics..lol Thanks for bringing a smile and a hardy ho ho ho to my lips this morning! Merry Christmas to you both!!! HUGS

    ReplyDelete