Saturday, September 15, 2007

Entry for September 15, 2007 -- Sumacs

In her recent blogs my friend , Petra ( tender plant ) both declared and demonstrated her great love for trees........ and this got me thinking as I too hold them dear ..........from the pygmy - sized bonzais to the redwoods of the West Coast. In one post Petra artistically incorporated the pic of a tree which grew in front of her house which I recognized immediately as a sumac. She confirmed my identification. So today I thought I would write a few words about my own experience with and affection for our native Northeastern brand of sumac , rhus typhina , a photo of which appears in the title entry above.

DSC05479
Back in the Fall of 1978 I went down to the cliffs overlooking the Saint Lawrence River and dug up three oak saplings , three one - meter tall sumacs and one wee ball cedar with a mind to transplanting them up here in the hills North of Quebec City where these species are as scarce as the well - known chicken's molars. Some 30 years later the oaktrees are about a foot in diameter and tall , the cedar pushing 10 meters in height whereas the sumacs have been running rampant ..... multiplying like the rabbits of Australia. To the right of the pool in the photo are six sumacs which I have been trimming and groming into a bower .... umbrella. In the Fall the leaves turn a most beautiful combo of red - gold with greenish admixture to boot. Quite stunning effect !
DSC05939We have had great success with our modest vegetable garden this Summer .... harvesting regularly since early August various species of tomatoes , zucchini and cukes. Each time we taste the juicy South Carolina Goldens ( yellow tomatoes ) we raise our fork to Dixxe. On the platter beside the fruit and veggies you may notice two spike or cone - shaped objects. They are the fruit of the sumac tree... as seen in title entry.... two others of which I have placed in a glass of lukewarm water to soak ....... resulting in the water turning a deep purple colour. Popular folkcuisine tells me to add sweetner and drink as " lemonade ".... so I followed the recipe. YUK !
P.S. Since I love delving into word etymologies I checked out the origin of SUMAC. From the Arabic for matter used in tanning or dyeing !!! I tried the mix on an old white tee shirt..... and it worked !!

1 comment: