Sunday, November 30, 2008

" I'm back , baby , I'm back ! " George Costanza of Seinfeld fame.

 

Just a wee word of heartfelt thanks for all the encouraging comments and kind thoughts you have been sending my way through Fluff's blog during these last four months. It was a rough 'n tumble  ... uphill struggle all the way ..... right down to the wire ..... but we finally pulled it off !! Driving home yesterday I pulled into a gas-station about two hours north of here for a last fill up. I well know that I looked like the wrath of God but managed to squeeze off a few words of wisdom to the chirpy young lady's query  , " And how are you today , sir ? "....... I answered , " Tired , my dear , very tired ........ but still in the game........ and the damnedest thing about it all is that I have the deep feeling I'm winning !" . I got back on the road and the closer I got to Fluff , McDuff and the ocean the lighter that big black gorilla I had been lugging around on my back these last few months became until it finally jumped out the back door and disappeared into the mists near the Geary Woods and Enniskillen . I HAD WON !! What relief !!  It will still take me some time to get back to blogging and commenting as before sooooooo.......  greetings and hugs to you all and a special word to my friend , Jim.... reassuring him that he'll soon have a back - up rooster in the barnyard !!

P.S. As souvenirs and memories of my snow - shovelling days back in the "ravine " and my bouts with the Yellow River  ..... Rivière Jaune every Spring for 34 years ....... I brought back  my favourite shovel  and one of 20 sump pumps from my basement.... installing them on my 9th - floor , penthouse balcony to remind my of my smart decision to come home to Saint John. Let's just hope and pray that God does not decide to afflick the earth by sending another epic flood as in the days of Noah......... 

12 comments:

  1. Well back Gerry!!! I have missed your wisdom and your humour! Let's hope there is no great flood but if there is, you are prepared. Enjoy your new home!!! hugs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That will will be some bloody flood if it gets all the way up to the new pumping station......just think next spring, when the birds and the flowers come back and the snow melts and the damn river overflows, instead of manning the pumps all night, you can just turn over, smile and go back to sleep in that great new bed........have fun, old buddy......I'll miss you
    ps......I hate to think how stout you will become when you no longer have to shovel the sixteen feet of snow that is predicted for the coming winter in Quebec
    ps 2....we all missed your writings.....good to hear you plan to get back to it

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to see you back Gerry! I can imagine what a lot of work it's been for you and Reb to make that move. Now you can relax, and enjoy that view from your apparrment, and like Bill said, just think of next spring when you do not have to be up in the nights to keep an eye on the flooding!

    Still good idea that you got one of them pumps with you, in case.... *giggles*

    Be safe you two! KRAM

    ReplyDelete
  4. So happy to see you blogged. I know the past several months have not been easy. Bravo for allowing the change to happen. It is the hardest thing.

    I guess you brought home the pump cause the truth of global warming will be much changed coastlines planet wide. Hope you are on high ground, ;) I know I am.

    This seems like the right thing to say: KRAM!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was scrolling down and saw your picture and thought.......I know him! Couldn't believe it! So glad to see you back and that maybe your long rides to Quebec are over for a while.
    Change is hard sometimes and it is usually so much work.
    As Julie said we have really missed you. Saint John sounds and looks like such a neat place. I think Reb must be having a ball discovering new places.
    I can 't wait to find out more. Take care and keep in touch!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Julie - Ann......many thanks for the kind comments and wishes....... I have certainly missed our daily visits and chats these last few months and , as you say , am truly looking forward to enjoying ever instant I get in these new ... yet sooo familiar..... surroundings. Hoping you , Willie and Kajsa Jo are all well this fine ... foggy here... day ... hugs !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Un très gros merci pour tes bons souhaits et gentils mots de sagesse , mon vieux copain Bill !! And you are so right about next Spring .... even though the Saint John River " freshet " is high at Indiantown .... it cannot touch me perched up here in the penthouse. However , I am leaving the pump and shovel out on the balcony until next Summer simply to remind me of .... not only how things once were..... but rather just how sweet I've got it now " que ça coule douce " !! I'll miss you likewise , mon vieil ami...... but as the old adage says so well .... although we live far from each other , we'll always have Oromocto as an umbilical cord. Hugs to you and Ann from me and Becky.......... and please give my very best greetings to your half - a$$ed brother ! .... and if you don't know which one , simply take your pick !!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you , dear Mona , for all the kind words of encouragement you sent me through Rebekah during this whole ordeal. Yes , we have finally been crowned with success and are now enjoying the fruit of our labours. I sincerely hope that you and Timmy are in good spirits and health as we approach the festive season with all its stresses and joys. Hugs to ou both.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey there , Barb.... you hit the nail on the head !! It was among the toughest decisions and endeavours of my life. When I told my two sons back on August 12th I was " going home "they simply looked at me as though I'd lost it. Four months later .. after much sweat , blood and tears " it's all in the past !! Deo gratias too ! Many thanks for the kind words and best regards to you , Frank and your extended family. Stay warm and dry !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ahhhhh......great keeper of the eternal light ... yes , I have crawled back to the civilized world ..... glad to see that you survived the Great American Depresson and are still very much alive and in great spirits as usual. I soon hope to be making the rounds and commenting but for the moment I am still recuperating from the Great Move !! ..... and its aftermath. Shall keep you posted on interesting things going on here... even a few of the secret events !! HUgs to you and I truly hope that you , Belinda and Taylor are living the good life way down there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad to see you back. I just hope you never have need for the sump pump but having lived in a high rise myself don't bet on it. **LOL**

    Take a break. You deserve it. (c;

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Jim..... great advice , my friend.... and since I don't have any neighbours above us except the local gulls on the roof I don't fear some forgetful guy's overflowing bathtub ..... maybe a few gull droppings down the air vent ???? Great to see you still holding your own and pursuing a productive literary career in the Land of Multiply ! Have a great month ahead , Jim.

    ReplyDelete