Saturday, October 4, 2008

Special Greetings to All My Friends !!

 

Now that the Mother Country's finances are back on even keel ..... and Mother Earth back on her axes and rotating well......and faith restored in the democratic process ..... I feel that I can once again fly the flag of the happy blogger. To boot ....one hell of a big decision has been made since the last time I posted ..... followed up with life - altering practical moves in its wake as you are surely aware of since you are all avid readers of Fluff's diary. My brain and emotions made the decision ... Fluff was on board immediately since she had already fallen in love with Saint John and the locals but my old bones took a wee bit longer to convince .... however , they finally came around to seeing things my way.. 

Not only are we moving back to my home town but our apartment building is nextdoor to my old grade school with a magnificent view from our livingroom and balcony northwestward towards Pokiok Road where I grew up ...... In fact , in the top left picture you notice a hump on the horizon just left of centre...... and that green speck on the cliffs overlooking the lower reaches of the Saint John River is the house where I was born. Unfortunately .... in hindsight I guess... I sold the house in 1993 when my Mom died.  

In closing this blog I might add that I feel a kindred spirit with the Queen Mary 2 in background....... both our bows ( noses ) pointed in the same direction..... seaward towards new horizons. Best wishes to you all.......Mona and Timmy , Cindy in her new house on stilts ,  Julie - Ann , Jim , Chris , Pat over in Switzerland , Raenie in Mass., Barb who's voting Green Party.... as well as anyone else who might wander onto this site. 

 

The above pic gives a "close up of the "hump on the horizon"   which Raenie sweetly refers to as the "bump ". The drop off behind the house is roughly 600  feet  over jagged rocks directly into the river below. Back in the 1940s two runaway horses dragged a delivery wagon and driver over the cliff . During a stag party back in the 1980s the groom's friends and brothers  took him up to the cliffs to scare the living daylights out of him..... and they did just that !!! While trying to avoid being caught .... and being likewise very drunk......the poor fellow lost his footing and plummetted to certain death on the rocks below. Even my dear old Dad .......in his early 70s went over. Luckily for him and all of us the sturdy mountain cedars which grow profusedly there broke his fall and he managed to crawl back up to the top in spite of having broken his left arm.

20 comments:

  1. Now that you're moving back to the big city a word of advise; keep the curtains closed unless fully clothed. Them ain't racoons out there with binoculars and field glasses pointed at your building. **LOL**

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jim... we're on the top floor of the tallest apartment building in Saint John so only the gulls fly this high........ although they say their eyesight is 20/20 !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your view. What a great place to dig new roots or find the old ones and give them new life. I am sure McDuff likes to stare out the window.

    Will I vote Green? Just maybe, that or Liberal. I do not want Harper to get a majority. Our riding has voted Bloc the last several elections. I wish I knew which way the wind is blowing around here. It is hard to tell. I must visit the candidates and assess the situation.

    Jack Layton was a real put bull in the debate. He would make a formidable leader of the official opposition.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to see your blogging again. What a huge decision to leave your home to move elsewhere. I wish the 3 of you well. You have a great view.

    I wish I could feel that Mother Earth is rotating back on her axes and that all is well. It just is not here. And I fear the worst is yet to come.

    Take care. hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's so nice that you're moving back to where you were born!

    Y'all are making me want to move also!!! Not sure where to though. Back to Germany might be scenic... But which area, the old East (where I was born), or my home in the West...even though they're all one again, now.

    Maine, hmmm ...

    Washington State ...

    Next free apartment in your building might be nice!!! (grin)

    No, no, not to worry, I still have Lance. They wouldn't take me!

    I wish you all a very speedy moving process. And congratulate you on *never* having to deal with another "Sump Pump"! ;)

    hugs,

    ~Raenie

    ReplyDelete
  6. p.s. That "bump" looks pretty small from here! (lol) Can you see more clearly "in real life"?

    ReplyDelete
  7. How very nice to hear from you again! You have been so busy and I am so happy for you all to be doing something you love and want to do.
    Best of all you won't be on top of the roof shoveling or down in the basement at Spring - "working the pumps"!
    HUgs.....................Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good to see you back gerry! =o) Nice pictures there. I can understand that in a way it must be hard to leave the house where you been living for so many years... yet on the other hand you are coming back home!

    Like Cindy says, you do not have to worry about shoveling down anymore snow from the roof and you do not have to worry about getting a flood!

    Wish you and your lady a smooth move. I'll be looking forward to see more pictures! Sköt om dig! KRAMAR

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Barb... yes , in spite of the fact that I did elemantary school in Saint Pete's parish and left in 1949 with Redemptorist Fathers to become a priest and only went home to visit now and then afterwards.....and never to live for any lengthy period of time..... I still have quite a sizeable group of folks who "are alive and kickin'" and remember me well......... two of my Mom's best friends are holding on relatively well at 100 and 97 years old respectively. However , I've spent 46 years here in Quebec .... 34 in this house where I have accumulated "much junk ". Big task now is to sort out what has to go to the dump , stuff for the Saint Vincint de Paul Society and what we have to take with us. Quite a challenge at my age !! Hugs ! Hope you get a chance to invite Layton to supper !!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi there, long time no hear LOL but you've been busy planning!!! I am envious of you being by the sea, that's what I really miss here in Ontario. What are you going to do with all your dahlias etc?? Hope they've got good homes to go too :0) I guess the coons will have to find another buffet now too. Hope you educated your neighbours :0) Good luck in your new adventure and remember old dogs can always learn new tricks Luv Chris :0)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey here , Julie - Ann..... down deep I hink .... like you...... that we are not quite yet out of the financial fiasco in spite of the McCain - Palin quick intervention in Washington..... chuckle , chuckle !! And yes , Julie - Ann.... it took a bit of courage and a solid boot in the butt for me to make up my mind .... but I regret nothing as... were I to wait another 4 or 5 years I might not have the strength , the guts nor the energy to do so. Never look back.......Hugs to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Raenie..... right you are about kissing all sump pumps good bye !! I shall miss gardening a bit though but I have friends here with lots of land where I could garden to my heart's content. However , this coming Winter I shall be going fishin g off the local docks and rocks for harbour pollack or tomcod... digging for clams down on the Maces Bay mudflats , etc great wholesome fun !! Should you move to Maine we could check out the alewives in Penobscot Bay ... smack on the border with New Brunswick. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cindy Ann...... thanks for the good wishes and greetings. Hope that by now you are well in stalled and enjoying the comforts and advantages of your new home. Right you are about the shovelling as my little balcony is a far cry from what I have been clearing off these last 35 years !!! Hugs !

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are absolutely right , Mona , as it is truly hard to walk away from this house. ON the other hand the time is ripe for such a move allowing me to renew contacts with my origins , give Fluff a new home she can really call her own since it will be new to both of us. Up until now she has been living in my old house with all its memories and secrets !! LOL.Hugs to you and the lad !!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey Chris..... and it truly has been a coon's age since we 've exchanged a few words. Thanks for the encouraging good wishes and advice. As for gardening I do believe I shall miss it ..... however , I shall find myself a small piece of land on the edge of some friend's property where I can dig for worms and maybe drop in a few seeds in return !! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Maybe you can rent an allotment? Do they have them in Canada? :0)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yes , Chris allotments or community gardens are commonplace here in Canada........ have you moved back to the UK ? LOL.... I am giving away all my dahlias to a friend as I do not have neither the time nor place to take care of them this year.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sure you'll have the most exotic foliage filled balcony in St. John. I'm excited for you two, and having moved after 13 years in the same house I know what you're facing to shift domicile. In just 2 years here we've accumulated enough to make the contemplation of another move a night-mare.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Good to see you writing again.....pictures of the house of the hill bring back pleasant memories of my bride- to- be and I sleeping there, with your sainted Mom on a rocking chair between the two rooms, making sure that there wasn't any hanky-panky during the night !!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Best wishes to you for a happy and relaxing time of it.

    ReplyDelete