Saturday, April 21, 2007

Entry for April 21, 2007 In the Throes of the Floes Revisited !!

Once again we are caught up in the throes of the Big Melt with all its advantages and drawbacks........ blazing hot sunny days after a long cold Winter AND the yearly pregnancy of our meek mountain stream and its mutancy into a raging mountain torrent ....... all this fun and entertainment taking place right in our very own backyard through which the Rivière Jaune flows. I expected water to start trickling slowly into the basement last night but , to my surprise , around midnight it peaked and even began going down somewhat at 3 in the morning ........ which allowed me to grab a bit of " shut-eye" until 9 this morning. Whatever be the case tonight after a very hot day of melting snow and rising waters all my pumps are well-installed and ready for action ........ even three back-up pumps lying beside each hole down in the basement. And so as George W. Bush once said from the deck of an aircraft carrier whilst celebrating " Mission Accomplished " in Iraq , " Bring 'em on !"..... I'm ready !! I'm a bit luckier than George W. though...... I know who my enemy is and that after May 1st the battle will be over until next year .

Like a rolling stone I have not gathered much moss lately. Nor has any grass grown under my feet as I have kept rather busy planting dahlias , calla lillies and gladioli in pots and boxes out on the sundeck and gallery...... using my super wheelbarrow to combine good black earth with peat moss so as to produce my miracle potting blend which I have named " meow mix " . When transplanting time comes along after the frost has completely disappeared I shall add some nourishing "bleat" or " baahaahaa" mix......... sheep manure. Great nurturing stuff for hungry little roots. At last count I had roughly 75 units already planted . There is , however , one major inconvenience .... these nights the temperature goes down to 4 or 5 degrees below zero so we have to bring all the boxes and pots into the house. Oh well , in mid May I'll be quite far ahead of all the other gardeners in our area and I am having a barrel of fun at the same time.

Thank you all for your messages and greetings these last two weeks or so . I shall try to get back into the swing of things and comment more on your blogs. Mea culpa !! Happy Earth Day tomorrow........ me , I'm glad to have a place to plant on !! Let's take good care of it !

No comments:

Post a Comment