Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Climbing Up and Down the Family Tree !!


When you stand under an appletree and shake it you feel pretty certain that apples ....  not peaches nor pears ......are going to conk you on the head.However ,when shaking your family tree the nature and quality of the fallout is not so evident and sure as in the latter . And thus it was for me. I have always been interested in family history and geneology but moreso these last few months...........even going so far as to drag poor Fluff through the back roads of Maine in early September to visit some old Swedish settlements and then , as though by serendipity , end up in nearby Mars Hill and Presque Isle , Maine where my great grandmother's decendants now lived. I renewed old aquaintances and met a few new ones with whom I have been communicating  with by phone and e-mail ever since ..... exchanging tidbits of info while hoping to clarify and put order into our mutually shared bloodlines.

I have been delving into the online federal and provincial records , passenger lists of ships out of Ireland between the years 1833 and 1852 and many other available sources such as my own good  memory and especially from a sit-down session back in 1985 I had with my mother and father who were well into their eighties and very alert and quite knowledgeable  about their origins.I wrote down the results of that meeting. I regret not making the rounds of Saint John City Archives , old newspapers and parish baptismal , marriage and death data while there on holidays last June. Might even make a quick trip with Fluff down that way before the snow starts to fly. Apart from my own interest for my ancestrry I am doing it mainly for my sons and as my wee contribution to the history of the McAnulty / McNulty clan in New Brunswick and elsewheres. The Irish Gaeilge way of writing our name Mac An Ultaigh  ( Son of the Ulstermen ) shows up mainly McAnulty or McNulty when anglicized in the North American records. For the moment my sons don't give a hoot about the question but I feel certain that some day they will rummage through my belongings , find these papers and deem them worthy of interest.

All in all it's been a rewarding quest for roots. I found a few cases of children born out of wedlock , cover ups where daughters are calling a woman  "  auntie " while in reality " auntie " was her biological mother ..... and this same daughter addressing her true siblings as nephew and niece whereas they were her biological brothers and sisters . And there is more !! At least I found nobody doing hard time in federal or provincial slammers ! BG .......... no hereditary ties to the Borgias ......... I hope to post my results in more detail here in Multiply some time soon.

4 comments:

  1. I read this yesterday but got a phone call or something. Have been thinking about it. I think it is so very worthwhile and wish I had the patience and know - how to check on mine. Just thinking about getting started on it and where I would start makes me feel frustrated.
    I have known a few "aunties" also in life that were really the real mom.
    Like you I think that someday one of my 5 children will be curious about
    things like this but sometimes I wonder. That is why I keep the old pictures and such.
    Your ancestors really sound interesting. I can imagine the fun you have discovering all this. Like a buried treasure! Heck some of mine are probably on wanted posters! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel certain , dear Cindy Anne , that your ancestors were surely wanted.... but not by the law but rather for the joy , understanding and compassion they brought others. And yes , it has been a real ball working back from hat I knew or suspected already to the known facts I found in diverse archives and old records. In your case maybe Taylor will be the one to write up the family history as part of a school research paper. Why not ? Like you , I have a treasure trove of old photos and even found a long-lost first cousin whom I phoned in Upper Canada on one small detail. He knows nothing about our family lore but wants a copy for his children. Thanks for your friendship and interest ... I'll soon be posting the follow-up to this wee introduction. Hugs as big as all Texas !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting post! I do not know if I would have the patience to go through all the things you need to do to figure out about my past family. I do know that my Dad already started a little on the family tree, not sure how far back he came before he stoped. Have to ask him about that...

    I am sure it is very rewarding to find out so much about the family! =o) Have a great week! KRAM

    ReplyDelete
  4. Knitting slippers for chickens is more relaxing than digging for family roots to examine...sometimes more rewarding too. *S*...Two tiny slippers and yer done for awhile, but not with genealogy...oh no...there's always another dead rellie beckoning from the misty wings..."pssst over here...I'll give ya the REAL lowdown..."
    Seriously tho...I think it's great that you can get out and nose around for the information. I'd love to get over to Montana and poke around some of the areas I've learned about in my quest for the illusive G-G-Granda. Sadly enough I wish I'd known about him and the family back in the days when I lived in TN...a hoot n' holler from where it all started for the USA branches. Growing up in Montana was great, but the family was so fractured by then I never got to know any of them OR the history.

    Truth is, the more I learn about the whole bunch...the more I think we were all too much alike...one generation after another. "Shhh, the children will hear you..." LOL

    ReplyDelete