Monday, August 6, 2007

August 06, 2007 -- Dahlias have names too...

Just a wee , easy- going post this evening folks. Summer is well on its way to becoming Fall and our dahlias are all pretty much in bloom .... except for a few stragglers that look , however , quite promising for the days ahead. Tonight I am having a wee coming out party for a few of my favourites and , just as race horses do , my beauties likewise all bear special names which I have given them . It is to be noted that when you buy dahlia tubers in the Spring .... they come with already given names. For example one that I bought was called English Breakfast .... which I quickly baptized Hibernia's Dream . I find that when I christen them myself I remember their names much more readily .... and my Dad did the very same thing before me and he possessed some 600 dahlia plants of varied colours and species.

P.S. The small ... dainty.... dahlia in the title photo is calld a COLLERETTE ..... a hybrid of some kind.... which sports the name Junior Prom. I had only one last year but.... using the potato multiplying principle ...... broke last year's clump into three parts ..... all of which gives me three separate plants this Summer....... and they are flowering Big Time !!

DSC05442 DSC05596

On the left is Texas Wildfire ......... with Starburst on right.

DSC05394 DSC05516

On the left is Virgin's Earrings................. with Coral Sea Urchins

DSC05411 DSC05149

Hibernia's Darling................................... Grasshopper's Delight

DSC05594 DSC05588

Lemon Meringue. .................................. Bad Hair Day.......................

DSC05286 DSC05283

Bronze Idol ............................................ Irishman's Soul

DSC03141 DSC03205

Bishop's Purple ..............................................Mauve Fingernails

No comments:

Post a Comment